Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnets

I have seen (on amazingribs.com I think) a note about magnets being used to partially block the holes in PBC that hold the tie rods and allow air to escape. Believe there was mention of a source for them. What is their advantage over foil? Where are they available? Anyone have opinions about how well they work? Thanks. Jim Burgin

I got some that are square and about 1/8-3/16" thick. I had some really thin ones and they pooped out after a while. Either that, or the barrel got really hot and they got permanently attached to the barrel.

I got them from Tractor Supply. I use them when I don't have the rebar in, but still need to regulate the temp some. But you could easily slide them up against the rebar to block some air from escaping.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; November 2, 2015, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• JPP
      JPP commented
      Editing a comment
      Heat *can* demagnetize a permanent magnet if it gets hot enough... how hot depends on the magnet and what it's made from.

I got a pack of the old elementary school like magnets with the 'clip' on them. They are heavy duty and have enough metal that they don't get hot. Grocery store had them. Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	119514 Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	119515

Comment

Perfect sized magnets with a hook attached can be had at Harbor Freight.

Comment

While I haven't used the magnets to control temps I do use corks to smother the coals when I am done cooking. I bought some at Lowes for 39 cents. I have also used wine corks but most of them are plastic and they can melt.

Comment

jecucolo You are drinking the wrong kind of wine!

Just kidding. There are some $150 Napa Cabs with (gasp!) screw tops! But I digress. I was wondering how the corks gold up, and if silicon stoppers would be better.

Comment

I like the real corks. I have had the same 4 little corks for 4 months. I don't use them to control heat I use them just to kill coals. Hold up just fine.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              That is my next big purchase, Corks.

• ribeyeguy
              ribeyeguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Put them on your Christmas wish list!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here