Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Meatloaf on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Meatloaf on the PBC

Been meaning to try smoking a meatloaf since I got my PBC last year. It's finally meatloaf weather here in NY and we had no plans today, so it was time. Used a beef/veal/pork mix, added in some onions, carrots, celery, eggs, and breadcrumbs. Wrapped it in a bacon weave and smoked it with Kingsford blue bag and hickory for 2.5 hours until it was at 160. The smoke flavor really enhanced the overall taste of the meatloaf and added a whole other dimension that the oven could never provide. Served it with potatoes, turnips, radishes, and carrots roasted in bacon fat. Incredibly easy smoker project if you're looking for a shorter cook with very little prep. Just use your favorite meatloaf recipe. Highly recommend.
    Last edited by mikebarish; October 25, 2015, 09:24 PM.

Its a thing of beauty. Been meaning to try this and you have inspired me to do it soon!

Comment

Tim E, thanks! It really is just about the easiest smoker project you could take on. And there are infinite ways to do it, since meatloaf is a fantastic blank canvas on which you can create your masterpiece. Enjoy!
      Last edited by mikebarish; October 26, 2015, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Kneeee-Ice!!!

I need to do another one now.

I do them in mini-meatloaf pans, **meaning I use the mini-loaf pan lined with plastic to form the meatloaf, then dump onto grate.
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; October 26, 2015, 05:29 PM.

Comment

this could not have been more timely. I've been wanting to do a meatloaf for a few weeks now. You've inspired me to get it down lol

Comment

Looks really good! My bacon doesn't seem to crisp up that much for me.

Comment

Jerod Broussard I considered keeping it in a meatloaf pan. I formed it in one but then left it out of the pan to maximize smoke. I'm probably overthinking it though. Lynn_B I thought about doing it for so long and finally had a free day. It's such a short cook, I wish I had bought more meat to smoke since the PBC was going for a while after the meatloaf was done. _John_, my PBC ran hot for a bit (290 or so), which likely helped with the bacon. That said, I used thick cut and I'd probably go with regular cut next time. That might help with crisping even more.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                mikebarish I just use the meatloaf pan to form the loaf. I line it with plastic so it drops right out.

I like it! Going to have to add that to my list

Comment

Thanks, w0nq!

Comment

What a Great Idea! I am going to try it one of these days! Thanks mikebarish 👍👍👍👍👍 , Dan

Comment

• mikebarish
                    mikebarish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Awesome! Enjoy it and let us all know how it goes!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here