Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to do flank steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to do flank steak?

So is it quick - leaving the lid off - get super hot and use the grate? Or is it reverse sear for the last 15 degrees?

I think the reverse sear would be difficult achieve med rare. Get grill as hoT as possible..

Comment

Marinate for a few days then hot and fast till medium rare. Will get tough and dry if IT gets much past 130.

Comment

I've cooked a bunch of flank steak in my PBC. Theoretically, it should suck at flank steak cooking. But I bet you it will be amazing. Everybody loves the ones i do. Despite the standard of searing flank over high heat alone (I totally understand that), the PBC cooks a beautiful flank on the grate, lid on, both rebar out, dry rub just before hand. Simply flip it once a few minutes in and don't let it go above 140. I don't use a whole basket of charcoal, but I do let it preburn a little longer than usual (20 min?) for slightly higher heat. Bring it in and use a board sauce (found here in AR). Unbelievable.
        Good luck.

Comment

Hot sear to medium at the most and chimichurri

Comment

Thanks everyone - I'll post up some pics if what I do to it doesn't look like something from Pompeii.

Comment

Hot and fast.

Comment

With flank steak I have the butcher tenderize it. Then I marinade it overnight. I cook it on GrillGrates. I set 2 grates up and 2 down. I cook them to 110° on the up grates. Then I sear them on the flat side to 125°. There will be 2° or 3° of carryover cooking.

It works for me.👍

Comment

I just hang mine. No complaints. Taste great.

Comment

Voodoo , tell me more about cooking flank steak on the PBC, please. I always cook it on my gasser, hot 'n fast, but would love to compare the difference when cooked in the PBC.

Three questions about cooking a flank steak in the PBC:

1. About how long does it take?

2. What's your PBC temperature at the grate?

3. Does it have a nice brown (Maillard effect) crust?

TIA,
                    Kathryn

Comment

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Kathryn,

Do you own a kettle? To me a kettle seems like a better cooker for flank steaks than a PBC.

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nope, JeffJ , I don't have a kettle. Just a PBC and a gasser. I love the way my gasser does flank steaks, hot 'n fast. But I'm curious to learn whether it would be better on the PBC.

I do Tri-tip steaks on my PBC and they are amazingly delicious--I reverse sear them to 130 on a screaming hot iron skillet readied on my gasser while the PBC brings the steak up to 115 deg F before the reverse sear step. I was wondering about reverse-searing the flank steak in a similar manner.

Kathryn

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      PBC and gasser falls into the "what more do you need" category. That combination pretty much covers all of your bases.

There is really only 1 'trick' to getting the most tender flank steak on a PBC.
                    Since getting the low down from Noah on how to do this right, flank steak on the PBC is one of our family favorites. Incredibly easy and stunningly great tasting without any need for high heat, reverse searing or using the grate. The best way we've found is to use a simple 50/50 (by weight) S&P and a small chunk of hickory wood on top of the coals. Pit temp at the 'standard' 280 and a Maverick Temp probe to ensure the meat comes off at the preferred temp. I prefer 135... a little on the rare side but if we're making Flank Steak Sliders, I take the meat to 140 so that it's still plenty pink but does not bleed into the bread.
                    The 'trick' ... is simply to make sure to cut perpendicular to the direction of the grain on a bias of about 60 degrees. That's it. The result is so amazing nobody will believe it's flank steak!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here