Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SLC ribs cooking time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SLC ribs cooking time?

So far, I have only cooked baby back ribs on the PBC. I am interested in trying St. Louis Cut style ribs, but have noticed a discrepancy in cooking times in different areas of the website. The PBC Cooking Times thread and the PBC website videos recommend 3.5 to 4.5 hours, however Meathead's Last Meal Ribs says 5 to 6 hours. I would love to hear from some of the PBC alumns what the proper cooking time and temperature is for SLC's?

Mine always run 4-5 hours. And that is running 275-ish.

Meathead's last meal are at a 225 temp, and definitely come close to 6 hours on some racks.

Comment

• BigBear
      BigBear commented
      Editing a comment
      That makes sense. Thanks JB!

• JPP
      JPP commented
      Editing a comment
      How many racks do you usually run Jerod? If it's anything like your brisket cooks... :-)

I find it is directly related to how many pounds of ribs you're cooking. The first rack is anywhere from an 1.5 to 2.5 hours and I add approx 1 hour for each additional rack. Ambient temps, humidity, pre burn of your charcoal, et... all too many variables for a set-in-stone cooking time guideline.

Comment

Mine were 2 slabs and 2.5 hrs, I believe we are going to find that the cooking times change with altitude, PBC factory times are at around 6000' and I am at sea level. Unless you choke it down I can't see a 4 to 5 hr rib cook in the PBC for me with the normal 2 racks.

Comment

Not sure about the PBC, but on my WDMs at 225-240, it's about 6 hours.
        In my big gravity feed, I find I need to cook at 250 to get the bark I want and they are done in about 5 hours.

I don't cook a lot of baby backs, but I think they are 60-90 minutes less on average.

Comment

I cooked 2 racks of St Louis cut this past weekend. The cooker stabilized around 240. After 2.5 hours, I had one rack fall off the hook. Luckily it draped over the basket handle and not into the coals. I'm at sea level. I just don't see how anyone can go over 2-3 hours at sea level.
          Last edited by jub jub; October 21, 2015, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I'm also at sea level but my SLC's (6 racks, which is about how many I *like* to do at once), usually take around 4 hours. I've typically seen thinner ones start getting ready at about 3.5 hours... but finishing all six takes mine between 4 and 4.5 hours. I usually make an effort to keep the minimum temperature above 240 and *usually* manage to do that... sometime it's not easy with the wind and all. If I just do two racks (min cryovac'ed number from BJ's) it's usually closer to 3.5 hours as the barrel tends to run hotter with less cold meat.

Comment

Budget for 5 hours but start checking at 3.5 hours. They cook pretty fast in the PBC even at 250 degrees.

Comment

Thanks everybody for your input. I really appreciate it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here