Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend Cook - Prime Rib!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend Cook - Prime Rib!

Youngest daughters 20th birthday this weekend, and her order for her birthday dinner is Prime Rib with mashed potatoes (made with touch of horse radish), "Lawry's salad", yorkshire pudding and creamed spinach. Basically going to Lawry's but she likes mine better! BONUS! Love doing prime rib. Cut the rack of bones off for a different day, and also carve off a couple of nice ribeyes for a later meal as well. I'm in heaven. Oh wait, it ain't about me!

Gotta love those things, so many bites of beef in those things......

Comment

PappyBBQ, Your Daughter has Good Taste! It has to be Her UPBRINGING! Tell her Happy Birthday and have a Great Day at the BBQ Pappy, Dan

Comment

• PappyBBQ
        PappyBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Dan!

Mrs and I didn't care for prime rib made over the coals. Normally I like the smoke on anything, but rib roast is pretty delicate, and all that was lost. I didn't use any wood, just a normal cook: Big Green Egg, hardwood lump, 225* indirect to an internal of 135*.

I mean we ate it, but prefer it in a regular oven. YMMV.

I've done probably 50 or more of these through the years, btw. It is my favorite meat to cook, because it gets so much praise from guests!

Comment

Mosca could it be that you had too many unlit coals that produced the smoke while gradually igniting?

Comment

• JPP
          JPP commented
          Editing a comment
          Would you say that it's best to do a full ignite of the basket (eg. lighter fluid method) when doing a rib roast on the pbc?

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          The PBC is a different animal. If you are not willing to experiment, go with a full, well lit basket. I've never used the lighter fluid method so I have no idea how the coals react.

I have never used a full basket for a less than 5 hour cook.
          Then again I'm the worst person to take PBC advice from LOL. Never followed any of the official tips and directions.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think so, Ernest. It was the standard outdoorsy charcoal flavor, the one you want for burgers and chicken; for us it didn't go well with the rib roast taste.

As always, YMMV.

Love the food at Lawry's The Prime Rib. Maybe next time I'll just go to Pappy's instead! I use Lawry's seasoned salt & pepper in a lot of my cooking.

Comment

Ok. A confession. I'm not cooking the prime rib on my PBC. I slather it in a dijon mustard/fresh garlic paste then pack it with rock salt. This gets roasted in the oven at 450 for 35 minutes to set the crust, then down to 325 for the remainder of the cook. Turns out such a good product that i just can't bring myself to try any other cooking method. If the roast didn't cost a hundred bucks I might be tempted to try another method. When the family requests Prime Rib this is what they expect. Who am I to argue with them?

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            This is what I'm talking about. There are many ways to do it properly. I make a crust of beef flavor Better Than Boullion, crushed garlic, and pepper. Then I roast it @ 225*, and when the temp hits around 130* I switch to the broiler and set the crust, 5 minutes a side, 4 sides. That has the same effect as reverse sear.

Before I got good at it, I ruined a few of those suckers. But the last 25 years or so have been excellent.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here