Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib How Long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib How Long

So I bought a 4 rib choice standing roast for Christmas dinner on my PBC. I have a PitmasterIQ so have the option of cooking at 225 or 275. Seems everyone is cooking at 275 and they all look good. Which method should I try and what is your estimate of time at the lower temp? Thanks

Welcome to the Pit! I am away from home and my cook tracking book.

PBC, PBC, PBC!

Nice looking Beech Debonair!

Comment

Thanks! That was a 1960 refurbished Deb that I had a lease on from my airport's manager. Very basic but sweeeet flying.

Comment

I like to cook as low as possible, 200-225° regardless of oven/smoker, etc. when it reaches 118° wrap it up, then find some method to cook at 500° to brown. In the 30 min or so in foil, it will come up 10°, brown it and will get perfect med rare.

Comment

I do prime rib about 250°F. Figure about 30 mins per inch of meat, but your thermometer must be the final guide.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          By inch of meat, are you talking the overall thickness of the prime rib? I assume you don't mean length.

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, inch of thickness/width (or whatever the shortest dimension is). This is the number that used to be on Meatheads recipe. I know it was removed…I’m guessing to avoid any confusion about the absolute need to use a thermometer to determine doneness. I like it for a rough guesstimate to time the other dishes.

Here you go from the free side: How To Cook Perfect Prime Rib, Tenderloin, And Other Beef Roasts (amazingribs.com)

Comment

I have not cooked at 225 on my PBC, but I wouldn’t want to cook a rib roast any higher that 225, preferably more like 200. A final sear is a good idea, but I don’t think I would wrap for the sear. I’d pull it a couple degrees below my desired IT, if cooking at 200-225. Let it rest while you get something prepped for searing. The PBC would work if you get it ripping hot. Sear quickly. The rest before searing will prevent you from overshooting your target IT as long as you sear quickly.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here