Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Back into it! PBC or OJB.. or Gateway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Back into it! PBC or OJB.. or Gateway

We moved from Ft. Worth, TX to Sarasota, FL over the summer. Because of the move, I sold off all my equipment (PBC, Yoder YS640, Weber Kettle). We finally got our next house and are moving in soon, so of course, I need to reload my arsenal. I'm thinking an SNS Kettle and either a PBC (PBC.. PBC.. PBC..) ,Bronco Pro, or Gateway as an augment. The previous owner has a cinderblock pit already setup for whole hog.. so I'm good there.. any thoughts besides 1 of each?

my 2 cents for what it's worth is to get a weber 26" kettle and another larger smoker maybe like the Yoder YS640. You already have the cinder block pit so this would give you different levels of smoke and the ability to choose how big of a cooker you need for the job?

Comment

I've got the PBC and the 55 gal. Gateway drum smoker. Use them both, just depending on the quantity I need to do. I've also got the SNS kettle and a dozen other cookers, but that's another story.
      Last edited by wrgilb; December 8, 2021, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I heartily endorse the SNS Kettle and the Bronco! As mentioned here many times, the SNS will do almost anything you need to do, with the SnS insert and a vortex and….the SNS has several handy features not found on a "comparable" Weber. I have no experience with a PBC or a Gateway, but…..I love my Bronco and its’ stable temps….and just the overall great job it does with smoking.
        Last edited by Panhead John; December 8, 2021, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I vote for the kettle and another pellet grill. You had the Yoder; pelleteers are just so convenient for weeknight or I don't feel like lighting a fire stuff. Then again, I am a lazy man, so...

Comment

• Byrang
            Byrang commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen! I did enjoy setting the Yoder and going to bed.

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            +1

I think for a drum smoker the OK Bronco has a superior venting system.

Comment

The Bronco does, in fact, offer better temp control, and that characteristic carries over to the larger Pro to compete with the 55 gal class. I enjoy that the primary grate is at lid level with roughly 6" of head room under the lid and a very good woven gasket on the lid. Many Weber 22" accessories (grates especially) fit like they were made for it. In the actual barrels the Gateway is fine, but I think the temp control in the Hunsaker is slightly better, and the grate hanging system is much better. But back to the Bronco Pro, it's still only $700 beans while the Gateway and Hunsaker are now well over $1k.............makes the Bronco an outright steal for features coupled with price.............that equals superior value.

Comment

Check out the Weber Summit Charcoal grill. It is a fantastic cooker. Both a kettle and a Kamado. Paired with a Pellet Cooker you have lots of versatility.

Comment

I'm just a plain ole weekend warrior with a slightly modified PBC and the SNS Deluxe setup. They do it all. It's all in how well you know your rigs.

Comment

PBC, PBJ, PBX!

Since you've already had a PBC maybe branch out and try something new?

Comment

• Byrang
                    Byrang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good point, I can always grab a PBC if I don't like the alternative.

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Who is this masquerading as Hawker XP??? Your account been hacked???

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ..., ..., ...!

Pellet grill. Replace your pellet grill.

Comment

My opinion -- when it comes to cookers there are no bad choices, unless it's gas! This thread did make me look at the Bronco though. It's way too heavy for me. I can lift the small Gateway into the back of the van, but at 133 pounds the standard Bronco would have to be a home cooker. Love the wheels though.

Comment

• Byrang
                      Byrang commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I've been going back and forth for like a week! HA!

Add me to the folks urging you to get a kettle and a pellet smoker. A new Yoder (I recommend getting the competition cart for the larger wheels) and a kettle plus your cinder block pit would give you entirely different types of cooks.

By the way, hi neighbor.

Comment

• Byrang
                      Byrang commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I really loved my Yoder, but the comp cart would be a must. We just bought a house in North Port!

• Draznnl
                      Draznnl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Byrang, I got my Yoder at Indigo Pool Patio BBQ in Venice.

We just moved down full-time from suburban Chicago.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t understand getting something like the Bronco Pro over a WSM. Spend more money for half the cooking space.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                      Uncle Bob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Let's assume you're talking about the WSM 22 which has two grates......the Bronco Pro is 22" and has two grate positions (roughly the same size, though you do have to spend a few bucks to get the second grate). Are you using new math? That's without allowing for better temp control, sealed lid, wheels, a built in side table, a larger fuel bin, an ash pan. Yeah, the WSM has better portability, because it's made from much thinner material..........might be a trade off there for some folks.

• Razor
                      Razor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I guess if you need all the extras then maybe? My WSM rarely moves so wheels are not needed. I bought a nice SS cart at Costco for $80 that has 4-5x usable space of that shelf. I live in the north and have run 12 hours without refueling so a larger fuel bin is a moot point for me. I’m not saying the Bronco Pro is bad, but no matter what math I use, new or old, $350 + whatever a spare grate is, is at least a 40% price difference.

I don't have a Weber however I do have a Bronco Pro, PBC, and a Yoder. (along with a few others). Between those three if I could only have one it would be very difficult as they all three are so different in their flavor profiles. That said the versatility of the Yoder with the deflector plate opening and grill grates allowing to grill at high heat or smoke at low heat and the ease of use I'd probably go with it. Very close 2nd IMHO would be my PBC it's flavor profile and ease of use blows me away every time I use it. Like my Yoder it's a set and forget cooker I don't monitor or try to control temps if I'm cooking poultry one rebar removed always give me crispy skin everything else just let it run and it's magic. I do use my Bronco more for competition cooks and it definitely has its benefits.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here