Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing BBQGuru XL Dome adapter and Pit Viper fan in PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing BBQGuru XL Dome adapter and Pit Viper fan in PBC

My PBC always tends to run low to the point (200f and under)where I constantly have to crack the lid. Switching from Kingsford to B&B Lump Charcoal has helped but I still need to check on the PBC more often than I like. So in order to try and achieve that "set it and forget it" I'm going to try using temperature controllers and it seems on Amazing Ribs the favorite combo is a Pit Viper Fan teamed up with a Fireboard.

Installing the BBQGuru XL Dome Adapter was pretty easy. Before beginning, on the inside of the PBC, you might want to scrape away some of the gunk at the bottom with a screw driver or painter tool. There's an indented lip that runs around the edge of the bottom where it meets the wall that the Adapter will sit in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0494.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	1136857

First, line up the adapter on from the inside. Then use a sharpie to mark the hole where the original vent screw was.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0499.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	1136855

Then slowly using lower drill bits, I gradually increased the bit size and settled on 3/16 as the final size

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0498.jpg Views:	0 Size:	590.5 KB ID:	1136856

Then gently by hand creating a bit of a curve in the adapter to match the curve of the PBC. you really only have to curve the bottom of the adapter. The top will naturally curve to the PBC once the screw is tightened

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0502.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.09 MB ID:	1136858

Insert the Pit Viper Fan

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0519.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	1136859

Can't wait to try to smoke something on this thing, I do realize it's probably not a perfect seal, if it leaks to much I'll think about adding some thermal tape or something to make it more air tight. For now I like it this way since I can easily remove the adapter and return it back to it's stock configuration.

Hope this post was useful for others looking to mod their PBC the same way
    Last edited by KuKuPuffs; December 4, 2021, 08:55 AM.

I like it. Temp control via a feedback loop, just the way a pellet grill works. Not new technology.
    Happy BBQ to you and PBC too

Comment

KuKuPuffs thanks so much for the pictured tutorial. I just purchased the identical items from BBQ Guru. The guy I spoke with there said to do just what you have done. Thanks again, Tom

Comment

That's exactly how I installed my BBQ Guru PBC adapter. Don't worry about any air gap. I makes not a hill o' beans worth of difference.

The Pit Viper 10CFM fan and Fireboard Drive makes the PBC temps spin like a top--that is, right on.

FWIW, I leave the Pit Viper selector to fully Open all the time

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; December 4, 2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
          That's exactly how I installed my BBQ Guru PBC adapter. Don't worry about any air gap. I makes not a hill o' beans worth of difference.

The Pit Viper 10CFM fan and Fireboard Drive makes the PBC temps spin like a top--that is, right on.

FWIW, I leave the Pit Viper selector to fully Open all the time

Kathryn
          What's the purpose of the selector leaving it open or closed?
          Also is your Pit Viper a tight fit on the Adapter? Feels like I really have to push hard to get it in. I'm wondering if I should be oiling it up or something to a make it easier to install and remove

Comment

The Pit Viper fits pretty tightly onto the adapter, KuKuPuffs . Certainly no leaks. Because it tends to weigh the adapter down, creating a small gap around the BBQ Guru Adapter at the bottom of the barrel area, I bolster it up under the nozzle of the Pit Viper with a small piece of wadded aluminum foil between the adapter nozzle and the edge of the rolling cart on which I have the PBC. This works great. It's not really necessary, but does remove the tension on the adapter.

About the selector being open/closed: for some cookers, the air flow from the Pit Viper might be too high, causing ash to swirl or temps having a hard time regulating. I don't have that problem with my PBC so I leave the Pit Viper wide open all the time. One less thing to mess with, I tell myself.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; December 4, 2021, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Nice install!

I did mine from the outside. That looks clean.

Fun fact, the opening for the adapter is pretty close to the same area of air flow as you have on the PBC in it's natural setting. So if you just don't plug the fan in, it runs just like normal

Comment

I like your set up using the inner lip of the barrel and the original screw hole. I installed my adaptor horizontally and drilled four holes to attach it with wing nut screws.

Comment

Hi there. I'm wondering how this turned out for you... Are you able to control the temps with this? Can you hold it at 225, or 275, or 350?

Comment

• KuKuPuffs
                    KuKuPuffs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    just saw this comment. I can definitely hold it at 225, 275. I haven't tried high temperatures past 300.

wanted to provide an update. This setup has been working great for me. Did a 10 hour brisket cook at 250f and never had to tinker with the lid or airflow or anything. The fireboard drive+fan (30% power) just did it's thing and maintained steady temperatures throughout the entire cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here