Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgin PBC experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin PBC experience

After much reading and planning I broke the PBC in this weekend with a baby back ribs cook. I'll have to say, they were the best ribs I've ever cooked. Smokey, but not too smokey. Tender, but not mushy. Many thanks to Kathryn for posting the lighting tips and temp/time guidelines. I tried to follow them closely. I also used Meathead's Cooking Log and noted a lot of things that I can improve upon next time. Here is my Cooking Log:
    Start 372 max temperature Put meat on
    15 minutes 300 temperature
    30 minutes 297 temperature
    45 minutes 284 temperature
    60 minutes 275 temperature
    75 minutes 273 temperature
    90 minutes 273 temperature
    105 minutes 271 temperature
    120 minutes 273 temperature
    135 minutes 270 temperature
    150 minutes 264 temperature Pulled half of the ribs closest to vent, internal temp. 195, sauced the rest
    165 minutes 329 temperature
    180 minutes 351 temperature Pulled sauced ribs (farthest from vent), internal temp. 192

I really like how steady the temperature stayed once it levelled off. Averaged 278 for the time the lid was shut (15 minutes until 150 minutes) with a high of 300 and a low of 264. After that, the temp spiked as I opened the cooker to sauce and pull.

The proof is always in the pudding. Here are some pics of my cook:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PBC my setup.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	112948 Click image for larger version

Name:	PBC sauced ribs finished!.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	112949

Click image for larger version

Name:	PBC sauced ribs on the cutting board.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	112950 Click image for larger version

Name:	PBC sauced ribs upclose.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	112951

I can't wait to cook some chickens next!

Let it get HOT for chicken. Looks goooood!

Comment

They look awesome. Congrats on your new PBC.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Sweet! Welcome to the PBC club!

Comment

BigBear, And that was the Practice Round? 😋😋😋😋😋 Welcome to the Pit, Dan

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Glad to hear it went well. Chickens are a good time too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here