Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skin on or off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skin on or off?

This is my fisrt post, so forgive me if this is a silly question. I'm going to do my first bone-in pork shoulder on the PBC. I just picked up a 7lb shoulder with the skin on. The butcher suggessted that I leave the skin on for the cook. I thought it would be better to remove the skin to get more bark. It sounds like this might be a personal preference. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Off, along with any fat. Make cracklins with the skin.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit, I think Jerod gave you good advice! The only second thoughts I have are that I have been involved with several whole hog spit BBQ's where it was cooked skin on and was to die for when done? Dan

Comment

Welcome to the Pit Njgolfnutt ...

I agree with Jerod Broussard you will have fun learning to make cracklin's too.

Comment

My first one I peeled the skin back put rub under and put skin back. All since I have removed the skin and most fat. They are much better with out the skin.

Comment

There's so much internal fat on those I like to go quite aggressive with fat trimming. I will hack down into the meat and pull out wads of fat before smoking it. No one likes a wad of fat in their mouth when eating, so I try to remove all I realistically can without mutilating it. Skin too obviously, as the others have mentioned.

Comment

Huskee I feel the exact same way about butts and brisket points with respect to the available intramuscular and/or intermuscular fat.

Comment

My current regime on butts is to remove the skin and trim the fat layer close.

Then comes the best part: On the cutting board, often I'm finding that thin layer of fat seems to be by itself at the bottom as I remove all the other muscles, and slice them into large chunks or slices. So, once the thin fat gem is discovered, I slice and cube it, providing a great yummy rub and smoke infused layer of delicious bark to mix all into the pulled and sliced pork.

#MrsBrownRules

Comment

skin off.

Comment

Yep as others have said, Skin off. Make cracklin's

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here