Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC Jr.

1st since last night's post on O.K. Bronco for $299 per a post from M.H. did on F.B. I could only find Walmart at $290. Great except shipping $185. No thanks. That barrel is not an option at the price I saw.
    So moving forward. There might be a few Pitmasters who are fans of the PBC. So thinking this through even at the $299, O.K. Bronco is too much cooker for me. Again, my wife is anti charcoal and smoke. I'm rolling smoke mainly for me. Looking at the PBC options, I see the 14" Jr. as a solid match for what I'll be cooking. And they're throwing in cover and poultry holder at the $249.
    Question, anyone have this and your opinions are welcomed?

Have it and love it. My only issue is grate capacity, if you want to not hang stuff a 10# pork butt pretty much maxes out the grate. It's also a bit shorter than the PBC, so a long rack of spare ribs can get a little fiddly and much more than a 10-12 pound brisket you'd probably have to take some of the flat off to not be in the coal basket. It's a great little cooker.

Comment

I like mine. Have not maxed it out but just the ticket for me. Almost brought it with me to Mississippi, will definitely bring it when I come back.

Comment

I wrote a post a while back on "junior" sized drums.

[Edited to add:] The junior-sized drum in my post is a BHC, which is now owned by PBC. I think it competes well with the PBC Jr., and has some advantages over it.
        Last edited by RobertC; October 22, 2021, 02:13 AM.

Comment

I'll call a NIKE and say "just do it"

Comment

The Bronco is $299.99 at Walmart with free shipping. The $290 + $185.00 option is one of those marketplace vendors that no one ever buys from. I’d go Bronco all day…
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Sid P; October 22, 2021, 07:02 AM.

Comment

There’s also a used PBC with ash pan and cover in Hillsdale, NY for $200. It was posted 10 days ago, so they might even come down from that.

Comment

• efincoop
              efincoop commented
              Editing a comment
              That is 1 hour from me. No pictures

• Sid P
              Sid P commented
              Editing a comment
              efincoop I don’t understand why people run ads without pics, but it wouldn’t stop me from responding.
              Last edited by Sid P; October 22, 2021, 11:19 AM.

• efincoop
              efincoop commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. My biggest fear is if I offer the seller $150, they might agree. I just picked up a small propane smoker and I am working on a much larger addition to my collection, so I better pass on this one.

Originally posted by RichieB View Post
            1st since last night's post on O.K. Bronco for $299 per a post from M.H. did on F.B. I could only find Walmart at $290. Great except shipping $185. No thanks. That barrel is not an option at the price I saw.
            So moving forward. There might be a few Pitmasters who are fans of the PBC. So thinking this through even at the $299, O.K. Bronco is too much cooker for me. Again, my wife is anti charcoal and smoke. I'm rolling smoke mainly for me. Looking at the PBC options, I see the 14" Jr. as a solid match for what I'll be cooking. And they're throwing in cover and poultry holder at the $249.
            Question, anyone have this and your opinions are welcomed?
            I have a PBC and a couple of kettles. I have no direct experience with the PBJ, but based on what others say it is a good cooker. If it were just me I was cooking for, I would certainly consider the PBJ. I would also seriously consider a Weber Jumbo Joe for around $70 brand new. I use mine a lot when just cooking for myself and my wife and it is plenty big enough for the two of us.

Comment

I have it and love it, mostly cooking poultry and ribs. It is so simple, start the fire, put you meat on the hooks and come back in 90 minutes to check on it or remove you meat and let it rest for 5. Have not put anything on the grates, I have 2 weber kettles and a BGE for that. The size is perfect for my wife and myself with leftovers.

Comment

I have a PBJ and like it. The only drawback as mentioned above is the grate size. If you’re using the half grate to hang some meat and cook other stuff on the grate it’s somewhat limited. Also, I cut rib slabs in half to keep them away from the fire when hanging. It does a great job, though. Just me and the wife usually, so it works out well.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ..., ..., ...!

I have the PBJ and I cook mainly for myself also. Wife doesn’t want much smoke.
                it works great. I booth the hanging grate so I can grate and hang stuff. I’ve done a 10# brisket flat on it. Doing a whole packer would nearly be impossible. I use it for ribs beef and pork, Tri tip, chicken, you can do high heat stuff with some free no tool hacks. By far my favorite to do on it is ribs. 3 hours no wrap is the best! I love mine. Oh and it fits in the trunk easy for travel
                Last edited by Dr J; October 24, 2021, 01:54 AM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  PBJ, PBJ, PBJ!

Y'all be happy to know I ordered the PBJ about 15 minutes ago. I know the Joe is a lot of cooker for the price. It's too much for for what I need. This will reside in garage. I see it as a way to not have to dig out of 2 ft. of snow on the deck to cook something. Roll it out to a plowed driveway. Comes with a cover and poultry hanger as a promo.Now need to tell my better half. That will be a an uncomfortable conversation. After going on 49 years there have been a few of those.

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congratulations Richie! Can’t wait to see your first cook.

• RichieB
                  RichieB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Panhead John, thanks. I'll be coming here for coaching, tips and more help. I'll cruise through the PBC threads here, YouTube and PBC web site for guidance.

Have fun with that PBC Jr. You're going to love cooking on it.

Kathryn

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	90A2EE2F-78D7-4E61-861F-461A013E2510.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	1118749 PBJ, PBJ, PBJ!

Here is an idea for you so it’s easier to move around.
                  Last edited by HawkerXP; November 2, 2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Notified arrival Thursday. Quick question. Does it need to be seasoned? 1st cook will be a chicken since they're throwing in a poultry hanger and I have one in freezer that I've been meaning to cook for awhile. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Panhead John
                      Panhead John commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes sir. I always season any new cooker before using it. Not only will it get rid of any lingering residue or new metal smells, but I also use it as an opportunity to play with my fire/temperature management. Use the burn in as a chance to learn your cooker a little, before putting any meat in it. I even use wood chunks during my burn in, don’t know if that really helps, but it can’t hurt.
                      Last edited by Panhead John; November 2, 2021, 08:34 PM.

• RobertC
                      RobertC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Does it *need* to be seasoned? Not sure. I've always done a burn-in before first real cook on any new cooker so I've never done a controlled experiment. I also wash pots and pans before first use.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here