Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&B Charlogs in the PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&B Charlogs in the PBC?

Just purchased my PBC a couple of weeks ago and I can't stop cooking on it! It's addictive! I'm getting ready to try the B&B charlogs for a long cook, perhaps 10+ hours, maybe brisket or pig butts. Any recommendations for basket setup and lighting? What sort of pit temperatures and burn time can I expect?

Mike

Welcome to The Pitmaster Club! Thank you for the support of the years.

I would think B&B would work great in the PBC, I always run Kingsford in mine, but that is just me. I would fill the basket plumb full and then take about maybe 1/3 of the coal. Place that in a chimney and get that lit and piping hot. Give the chimney a good shake to remove any ash and then spread it around the basket evenly. Give the basket about 2-3 mins to catch and get rolling the add the basket to the PBC.

For pork butt you can cook at 300+ with no issue. The pork butts can take the heat. It will probably settle around 275 F, at least it always does with Kingsford. If it runs a little hot, place some foil over the rebar holes and let the temp drop some. If it is running a little cool, crack the lid and let it heat up.

Comment

Sounds like fun! Be sure to take us along!

PBC, PBC, PBC!

Comment

Congrats on your first post after lurking for a couple of years! Good question, too.

Some PBC folks stand the B&B char logs end on (vertically) for long cooks, taller on the outside and shorter on the inside and use KBB briquettes in the chimney to light them with.

I haven't done that, but perhaps some who do will chime in to say whether it makes a difference.

Take a look at Red Man 's answer to Post #11 in this topic. In fact, you may want to skim through the whole topic. Several nuggets of wisdom there.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-discontinued

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; October 21, 2021, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon

Comment

Thanks Kathryn, lots of good info in that topic! I’ll post my results after the cook.
            Mike

Comment

Well, ya stated off with a couple of good ones here AZ. Hawker is thee PBC cheerleader & Kathryn is the PBC guru. Welcome, eat good and have fun!

Comment

as much as 27 hours for char logs in the PBC. With food will be less but the longest cook I’ve needed was 15 hours and had no problem. For some reason you may have to click in the first post to see the plot.

Calibration tests with no food to characterize settings. All using a level basket of KBB, and subset of that ignited by PBC chimney and lid clamped on immediately. I’m sure things will change with food load, but gives an idea how settings may affect things. Ambient temp was 30-40F. Altitude is sea level. Temperature at cook

Comment

I don't have a PBC, but I have used the char logs in my smoky mountain. I put them in vertically and then use lit briquettes in the center. This worked well for me. Oh, and welcome to the Pit!!

Comment

I’ve used char logs in the PBC a few times and fzxdoc described my method well. The temps might run just a little lower than when using kingsford but the burn time is longer than you could possibly need. I’ve mostly switched to just B&B briquettes with some char logs thrown in for extra long cooks like brisket or pork butt.

Comment

Great advice. Thanks for all the help!

Mike

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here