Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook on my PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook on my PBC

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_182501.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	1111046 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_181531.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	1111047 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_184026.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1111048 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_184032.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1111049 I did my first cook today on my PBC. I have used a cheap offset for years and produced good food. There is something about the PBC that has always interested me, mainly hanging the meat over hot coals and the claims that a PBC is pretty much a no frills set it and forget it cooker. For those of you that cook on offsets lkke me, you know first hand set it and forget it typically doesn't apply to us.

Anyhow, I decided to cook some baby backs since I've read and heard so many people say that the PBC is a rib cooking machine.

All in all, I have to say that the PBC lived up to the hype. The ribs had great flavor. A little less of a wood smoke than what I'm used to on an offset but they had a great tasti g charcoal smoke along with some notes of Hickory and the flavor combi action was great.

My only negative is that I should have let them go another 30-60 minutes longer as I had a little more of a tug then I normally do. It was a colder day here so I don't think the PBC got up near 275 and I should've known better than to assume 6 hours was a long enough cook time... They needed more time. This isn't any fault of the PBC just my inexperience using it.

Anyhow, here are the results of my first cook. I look forward to using the PBC more often from here on out.

They look great.

Comment

Exactly what I did. COS - PBC - 1st cook Ribs

Congratulations!!

Comment

Great looking cook. Can't wait to see more as you try other things.

Comment

Those look good enough to eat
          You deserve The PBR Award

Comment

The ribs look great, and I bet they ate good despite the fact that you think they needed more time in the PBC. It's a fun cooker, that little barrel.

What's next? Chicken?

Kathryn

Comment

Outstanding lookin cook! And yes it is a Wib mochine! Try some spares in it.

Comment

Look first class to me. I don't mind a bit of rib tug.

Comment

Those ribs look delicious. Congratulations on a successful first cook.

Comment

I'm a thinkin that was a short learning curve, those cooks look fantastic

Comment

The PBC is definitely a rib cooking machine but does a pretty good job on chickens, pork butts and turkey breasts also...

Comment

From here it looks like you nailed it! Look up Meathead’s bend test for checking rib tenderness.

Comment

Ribs look great! I really like the color you got on them. What brine and what rub(s) did you use on them?

Comment

• Evil Swine BBQ
                            Evil Swine BBQ commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I yellow mustard as a binder, then used my homemade general purpose BBQ rub and my homemade honey Chipolte rub on then. Glazed them with my Whiskey Green Apple Jalapeño sauce.

I knew the ribs were close to the tenderness I wanted but being the first cook on the PBC I was hesitant to let them go too much longer because I was afraid of then tearing off the hooks and falling into the coals. I wasn't expecting them to even go 6 hours because I read that the PBC runs at a higher temp than what I typically smoke at on my offset. But there were a couple points where I lost temp because it seemed like the coals weren't burning efficiently on one side and I should have cracked the lid open a little to resolve the issue. But that's the fun of what we do, we learn a little something each time we cook.

As for my next cook on the PBC, since we are getti g close to that time of year, I think I'll use
                          My turkey hangers and do a Thanksgiving test run.

Comment

Great looking ribs. Never heard anyone have ribs fall off the hooks. I have a PBJ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here