Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Barrel cooker coal basket arrived chipped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Barrel cooker coal basket arrived chipped

Hello. This is my first post here.

Last week I order my first ever smoker/grill - a pit barrel cooker. Yesterday it arrived and it looks great however I noticed there were a couple of chips in the porcelain-enamelled coal basket that came with it.

Is this not a problem or is it something I should ask the retailer about? I hoped to use the PBC for a long time and the last thing I don’t want any of its parts chipping and getting damaged by rust so soon.
    Last edited by Anteater23; September 24, 2021, 04:24 AM.

Ceramic? I think mine is just plain steel but then mine is several years old. Regardless, give them a call. Service is great. If your basket is defective, they will send you a new one. Welcome. You will learn much here. I surely have.

Comment

Mine was plain steel as well.

Comment

Ceramic? Not mine ...

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

• Anteater23
            Anteater23 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
          Ceramic? Not mine ...
          I’m pretty sure they ship ceramic ones now.
          Attached Files

Comment

The picture you show is steel. Not ceramic. And maybe you meant to say porcelain coated steel, not ceramic?

Comment

• Anteater23
              Anteater23 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I think so - I’m a newbie. In any case, do you think this is a problem and would make it rust?

You good. Coal basket will be fine.

Comment

Don't worry, just cook. Trust uncle Strat on this...

Comment

• Anteater23
                Anteater23 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. It definitely won’t make it rust?

Anteater23 "Is this not a problem or is it something I should ask the retailer about?"
              It is big enough of a problem for you to ask about.

I would call unless it was "as is".
              For as long as you will remember that chip will be there, and I don't think it will fix itself or get any better.

Hello from NW Oregon.
              Last edited by bbqLuv; September 24, 2021, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• Anteater23
                Anteater23 commented
                Editing a comment
                It was bought new - not "as is". I called the retailer who sold it and they said it would be fine if I put vegetable oil on it…

Welcome to the Pit!
              Your pretty, shinny basket will soon be covered in meat drippings and charcoal dust. Don't worry, be happy and start cooking!

Comment

It might get some rust on it, but the structural integrity won't be compromised. It will probably last longer than the barrel does. And that's pretty much forever unless you rust out the bottom by not cleaning out the ash, as has happened to some folks here.

That said, it never hurts to call the PBC folks. In my experience, their customer service is outstanding, and they're straight-shooters. You'll enjoy dealing with them.

Kathryn

Comment

• Anteater23
                  Anteater23 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thankfully I bought the ash pan so hopefully I don’t get that problem. Ty

• Anteater23
                  Anteater23 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I contacted the PBC guys and they just said that degradation of the coating is normal and no cause for concern. I haven’t even used it yet so don’t know what to make of that response :/

It is obviously bothering you so call them. You sound like something of a perfectionist, as am I. If it were me, I would call and ask for a replacement. Most likely they will send it to you no problem and not even want the original back. That would mean you have a spare if you ever need it.

Comment

• Anteater23
                  Anteater23 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The people who sold it to me just said to put vegetable oil on it and it would be fine.

Anteater23 did you purchase the unit directly from the Pitt Barrel Company? Regardless call them and tell them its important that you speak with Noah Granville (president and owner). He will take care of you.

Comment

• Anteater23
                  Anteater23 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi, no I bought it from a company in the United Kingdom. If I bought it from PBC co. directly i probably would have called them by now. I feel a bit awkward as I don’t know if I’m just being overly picky about it.

Yep, a call won’t hurt. I’m sure if it’s an issue for you, they’ll send you another.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here