Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New PBC User

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PBC User

Hello, new member here. I upgraded to the PBC from a 22" Weber with SNS, and am very happy I did. This site and forum have been incredibly valuable!

I ran a couple racks of baby back ribs on Sunday, and they were the best I've ever done!

The next run was a Costco pack of butts the next day. Total weight was just under 13 lbs between the two. I ended up using the rack because I didn't have any twine or bands handy to keep tight for hanging. My total cook was about 7.5 hours per the Fireboard. I let them run the whole time without wrapping and took off the PBC at 203 degF. The bark was really nice, but given that they were rested for about 30 minutes for the rest of the food to be cooked, they did get a touch dry. Everyone was pleased, and the leftovers have been very popular, but I'm thinking that I need to pull around 195 degF next time.

Thanks again for all the great info. It has certainly reduced the learning curve!

Welcome to The Pit.

Please don't get too hung up on the final temp. What ya want for pulled pork is probe tender. When you stick the thermometer probe in the meat, there should be almost no resistance - like a knife in room temp butter.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree 100%, and on my WSM and SnS there’s a good chance parts of it may be 208 or more. 195 is way too early on my equipment and with the pork butts I get from Costco.

Welcome from the California Delta

Comment

Welcome to the pit. I got their skewer hangers and hang my pork butts that way. Still find the twine helps, but don't worry as much about the butt coming loose from the hook.

Just an idea.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! We can always use another Barrelhead!
        I agree with above, cook to probe tender, start checking around 190ish internal temp. I hope you didn't pitch the kettle and SnS! I have both and there are some things that just come out better on the kettle.

Comment

Welcome! The PBC is definitely an upgrade. Amazing capacity and fun to cook on. I wish I could have held onto mine when we moved from MD to LA.

Comment

When I do butts on the PBC, I'll typically wrap at the stall with a little beer for braising liquid. Always try to hold in a cooler for at least 2 hours when done. Sacrifice a little bark, but they're always super tender and juicy.

Comment

• Duanessmokedmeats
              Duanessmokedmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              Try pinea-pple juice or passion/mango juice next time...

You & the gang here are killin me. I keep threatening to sell mine & then a write-up like this, & a switch goes off and I wanna do Wibs! Welcome, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Glad you like your PBC. I just did a small 3 lb. pork butt on my PBC yesterday for some pulled pork sandwiches. The PBC is the equivalent to a pellet pooper in that it almost 'set it and forget it'. You can play around with the temp a little bit by pulling out the rods, but still very hands off.

SnS is not worth the money...just my 2 cents. I gave mine away. But you should get a Vortex. That little piece of hardware is gold.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 on The Vortex

IMO, adding a PBC to a Weber / SNS is more of a cross grade and not an upgrade since both excel in different ways. Welcome to the pit HSVbbq.

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon

Comment

Welcome from north Texas. All kinds of help here. Enjoy, have fun.

Comment

HSV....do you happen to drive a Holden built Pontiac G8 or Chevy SS
                    Welcome to the site.

Comment

• HSVbbq
                      HSVbbq commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't, but I did look at an SS a few years ago A Caddy Blackwing may be in my future...MT of course.

Thanks for the comments and advise everyone. I still have the kettle with sns and the Genesis. I love the PBC! I'm going to try a brisket this weekend. It's looking like smokers are similar to motorcycles, each has their purpose and you can't have just one.

Comment

So, I picked up a 9.85# Prime full packer from Costco on Thursday evening and smoked it on Friday. I whipped up some Big Bad Beef rub or similar with what I had in the cabinet (hot paprika instead of chipotle).

It took right at 10 hours with an average PBC temp of 250F to get it to 203F internal. I had pulled it at 185 to wrap in aluminum foil, then back on the grate for the remainder. I did the faux cambro rest for 2 hours, then it was time for the reveal.

WOW! It was fantastic! As much as I love pulled pork, the brisket was 100X better. It was a hit with the whole family and there are only a few remaining chunks despite being gone most of the weekend.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                        HawkerXP commented
                        Editing a comment
                        PBC, PBC, PBC!

I did a Costco brisket as well. Its so nice when it all comes together. Congrats!

Take pictures and show us!

• Michael_in_TX
                        Michael_in_TX commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I hope my first brisket goes like this. I've had my PBC since November of 2019 and I have yet to have the courage to do it.

• Thomassen
                        Thomassen commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I love brisket on the PBC. A big hit at my house!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here