Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back-up smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back-up smoker

I absolutely love my PBC but am in need of a gas back-up smoker. I live in the SF-Oakland Bay Area and we have had several 'Spare the Air' days during prime barbecuing season due to poor air quality caused by wildfire smoke (we had 6 weeks straight of Spare the Air days last year). I had promised my grandson smoked ribs for Labor Day but am not going to be able to do it.I'm looking at the Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault and the Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL . I'm curious as to what other PBC users recommend based on your experience.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure why the PBC wouldn't work as it is a self contained fire. But I'm east coast. Good luck!

Comment

I smoked 61 pounds of sausage in 2 rounds on the Smoke Vault 24 today. Baby holds temp.

Comment

• Thomassen
        Thomassen commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jerod. Have you done a brisket in it? I've read that you can hang ribs, can you hang a brisket as well?

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Thomassen I've yet to have to load her up with brisket aka got volunteered to feed too many peeples. I never hung my ribs, just had them on the top rack where it is warmest.

Maybe an electric smoker? Some pretty good ones out there. I have a Smokin-It model #2. It was my first true smoker. Works great. I have others now but still use the electric on occasion.

Comment

Yes, look at electric. I have a Cookshack that does a good job on ribs, pulled pork.

Comment

My backup is a Smoke Vault. Has a few idiosyncrasies to deal with but once learned does a great job. Also makes a great oven for pies, and as a secondary cooker when trying to feed a crowd.

Comment

• Thomassen
            Thomassen commented
            Editing a comment
            What idiosyncrasies? Can you be specific?

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            1. The temperature dial is very sensitive, and it is easy at first to find yourself chasing temperatures. The dial needs to be adjusted in millimeters only when changing temperatures.
            2. The gas regulator safety can lock down on you when it thinks too much gas is flowing. To prevent this open your tank’s valve very slowly when first applying the gas. Then, only open the valve a turn or two. You will still get plenty of gas flow. The may have changed regulators since I bought.

• Thomassen
            Thomassen commented
            Editing a comment
            Donw - Thanks for the info.

Traeger is a suggestion. Not familiar with Spare the Air Days, is there a ban in place for those days?

Comment

Sigh. You made me look at Craigslist. There's a Smokevault for sale in the area for $100.

NOTE: I have NO USE for one. But... #MCS might get me.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha! Isn’t that always the way it goes? Good luck. 🤞🤣

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here