Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fatty on PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatty on PBC?

I've never tried a fatty before and thought I might try it on the PBC. Has anyone tried this before? I worry the fat coming off may start a conflagration in the pit. Any suggestions?

Gary

Done it. No uncontrolled fire. Fatties were stuffed and bacon-wrapped on the grate.

Comment

Obviously don't hang the darn thing. hahaha. Put it on the grate and as long as you keep the lid closed tight, you shouldn't have any problems I wouldn't think.

Comment

Only time I got a bit of a blow up was splitting the foil on a wrapped butt and about 8 oz of fat spilled all over the coals, nothing else has bothered it.

Comment

Ditto everyone else. I've had my pit barrel turn into a flame cannon when I left the lid off for a few minutes unattended, it was full of 8 racks of ribs dripping delicious flammable juices. So long as you keep the lid on and are intentional with the air flow, it should be very difficult to have anything flame up.

Comment

Thanks all. I'll give it a go this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by grezs View Post
              Thanks all. I'll give it a go this afternoon.
              make sure we see some pics!!!

Comment

• grezs
                grezs commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry, I still don't do digital pics. The fatty cooked fine, but I used too much apple for smoke and it came out too smokey. Texture was dense also. I guess I still prefer my sausage and peppers as taught to me by my Dad 55 years ago.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, that will happen. Trust me, you're not the only one here, myself included, that has made that mistake. I usually only use a few chunks when I cook in the PBC. There's always next cook. grezs Keep calm Smoke on!!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here