Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Barrel Cooker - First Spare Rib Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Barrel Cooker - First Spare Rib Cook

This is my first rib cook with the PBC. What temperature should I be looking to pull them off?

I noticed on the PBC site it says 3 hours, then glaze. For a total of about 4 hours.

I am 3 hours in and the internal temp is 167.

It's hard to tell when ribs are done base on internal temp, though 167F doesn't sound done to me. Check out MH's article on how to tell when ribs are ready. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...hey_ready.html

Comment

I usually take mine off at 195*F internal between the two largest and thickest ribs on the rack and cook at 225*F smoker temp. Since ribs are fairly thin and lots of bone you need to watch them closely after the 3 hr mark.

Comment

Yeah the bend test. It to almost 6 hours for Baby backs last night. Never took a meat temp. Too many bones.

Comment

You can temp them and use how easily the probe slides in as a guide, kinda like poking them with a toothpick

Comment

Never could get the bend test to work well for me, but poking with a probe really told me how tender it was. It took a bit, but when I get one the way i like it, or and under done one i poke it a bunch to get used to the feel and its worked well for me.

Comment

Kinda took all of your advice. Bend test, probe, temp, etc. Ultimately they stayed on the grill for 4.5 hours. Pulled them off. Had some work to finish before we could eat them.

Wow!

Just Wow!

This were the best ribs we've had in a long time. My SO couldn't stop complimenting me on how good they tasted, how much quality smoke flavor there was and how well the new PBC smoker performed.

Thanks guys.

No pics as I was simply too busy...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here