Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC: Beef Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC: Beef Short Ribs

Picked up some Beef Short Ribs from FreshDirect and wanted to sneak a smoke in right before Hurricane Henri arrived.

I think these are chuck side ribs since it's not as thick as I've seen others have posted. Trimmed the silverskin and fat cap off, left that big hunk of fat alone on the right. The membrane was already removed so that means no hangers otherwise I run the risk of it being sacrificed to the charcoal gods. I lightly salted with Kosher Salt and left it in the fridge overnight to dry brine

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9223.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	1081705

Next day, rubbed some Meat Church Holy Cow on it and prepped up some B&B Lump Charcoal in the chimney. I'm at sea level and set my vent to 1/4" opening but it doesn't really matter since I've learend my PBC will have falling temperature and will have to crack the lid to keep temps reasonable. B&B Lump atleast for me burns hot enough compared to Kingsford. Lit the Chimney for 20 minutes, poured the chimney into the basket (with a small palm sized hickory chunk) and let it burn for 10 minutes, then we placed the meat in on the grate. I won't be wrapping, or spritzing, Just going to let it go straight until internal temp of 203F

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9227.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	1081706

My PBC Temps Ran as follows

Hour 0: 300 F
    Hour 1: 268 F
    Hour 2: 221 F (Cracked lid an inch for 10 minutes) -> 262F
    Hour 3: : 266 F
    Hour 4: 245 F
    Hour 5: 227 F (Cracked lid for 10 minutes) -> 270F
    Hour 6: 217 F (Really surprised temps fell so fast within the hour. I left the lid cracked for rest of the cook)
    Hour 7: 250 F
    Hour 7.5 : 241 F

I hit internal temp of about 203 F by the 7.5 hour, rested it wrapped in foil and towel and then placed in a soft cooler bag for an hour. It was about 145 F when I sliced up

Was able to finish right before Hurricane Henri rain started. Had to leave the PBC with warm coals still in it and in the rain all weekend. Checked on it this morning, pretty bone dry inside. I usually cover it with a fabric cover but good to know it can be left alone in the elements and still stay dry.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9240.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	1081704Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9243.jpg Views:	0 Size:	893.0 KB ID:	1081703
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_152058.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1081707
    Last edited by KuKuPuffs; August 23, 2021, 10:06 AM.

They look really good.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Very nice cook. Hope you and your family stayed safe and dry during the storm.

Comment

Nice cook right there on the PBC,,,,
          I’d eat ‘em fer sure

Comment

Those look great! Good thing you got them in before the storm hit. At least you will be well fed!

Comment

And that is how they are supposed to look, well done

Comment

Nailed it.

Comment

Well done !! Yea it's too bad about the fat content of the 3rd rib. Unfortunately it happens often in either the third or fourth rib, it's the anatomy of the cow. It kind of sucks though, you're effectively giving up close to 25% of the yield. My biggest bitch about plate ribs.

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Wow those ribs look great. Nice job. Sounds like your PBC and B&B Lump are getting along well. I agree that the smell is so much nicer than with KBB, as you mentioned on another topic.

Have you tried leaving a rebar out during the cook?

Kathryn

Comment

• KuKuPuffs
                        KuKuPuffs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was just thinking that! I wonder what would happen if I leave a Rebar out. although it would really be sad if that's the solution, just means less things I can cook at once =)

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You could always put the remaining rebar on the diagonal which gives you a bit more room, KuKuPuffs .

Kathryn

Great looking ribs. Good job for PBC and you.

Comment

Wow those look great!

Am I reading your temp chart correctly? 300 is the highest temp you saw after lighting the fuel?

I usually see a spike of somewhere around 360 or more. I don't put the probe in until the white smoke (Kingsford) is gone and putting the meat in. It will drop down eventually to the 270 range and stay there.

Comment

• KuKuPuffs
                          KuKuPuffs commented
                          Editing a comment
                          yup! I poured the lump over the basket and waited 10 minutes before putting the Lid on and 300 was the highest it hit

From the photo KuKuPuffs :

1. Maybe move the probe a little farther from the meat?

2. Maybe you need to let it go longer than 10 minutes after pouring the lit coals over. I know you've tried 10-10-10 before with KBB. Maybe you should do the 3rd 10 with B&B lump as well. Seems like your fire just doesn't seem to have a good start to it. I only do 10-10 when I'm using the Fireboard Drive and Pit Viper fan.

Kathryn

Comment

• HawkerXP
                          HawkerXP commented
                          Editing a comment
                          This is where I was headed above.

Those ribs look fabulous! Did you turn them over at any time during the cook, or did they just stay bone side towards the fire the entire time?

Comment

• KuKuPuffs
                          KuKuPuffs commented
                          Editing a comment
                          never turned it over. I just left it like that on the grill the entire way

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here