Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New PBX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PBX

Well, this is interesting to see.

Cool. Nice to see they've finally fined-tuned it enough to bring them to market. The Original PBC, if anyone doesn't remember, was made smaller since they had trouble getting the 55-gal size to cooperate as easy. Not a bad price for a ready-to-go 55-gal drum cooker.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking the same thing.

Dammit!!! I had just started to ignore the whisper from the local Ace saying pbc, pbc, pbc by telling myself that it is the same size as my 18.5 WSM. I can already hear the HawkerXP chant starting...

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      ..., ..., ...!

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      PBX, PBX, PBX...

So, what does this say about all the fluff about all the testing to result in and 18.5" or smaller barrel being more optimal than the standard size drums?

Personally I am glad to see this new size, and its certainly tempting if I needed a high capacity but simple to use smoker.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Huskee.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, cuz they wooda come out with it a long time ago if’n they cooda got it right.

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      This is kinda like Grilla saying for years "Trust the swing" until they finally gave in and marketed a PID controller. "We've got it perfect, until we figure out how to do it like everyone else."
      I was just telling my wife I was considering getting a PBC for the lake house, since I only have the OG and a flattop there, then I see this.

Looks great but no wheels? I guess they are committed to folks leaving it on the deck.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Fer an additional……………
      Mebbee in the future.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I would definitely figure out a mod to add casters to that stand.

4 briskets??? Surely they jest!!

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      You are the first person I thought of when I was reading my email...what does 4 briskets compute to in Jerod's world.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      New calculator app update *Jerod Broussard brisket cooks : normal brisket cooks*

• Duanessmokedmeats
      Duanessmokedmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      I have done a brisket, pork butt and 2 tri-tips at once. Another time 3 10lbs pork butts. Both had room to spare. 4 briskets easy...

Wow. That dude is going is going to use the charcoal.

Comment

PBC, PBJ, PBX!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        The font size differential has not gone unnoticed...

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        You left out PBR. 😭

I'm surprised I thought it would be more expensive....it probably will be soon

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Lot more products are shipped in 55-Gallon drums out there than 30-Gallon, would be my guess.

I don’t see how you get 4 briskets or 4 turkeys in there.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        You double stack with an extra grate. That is how you cook four in the standard PBC.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve used an extra grate in the regular PBC. I’d like to see the setup for 4 in the original.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Mebbee a brisket rack, like Weber’s rib rack.

Anyone thinking about pulling the trigger on this might want to wait until it's been out and in general usage for awhile. I have a PBC that I've always been happy with. I bought a PBJ as soon as they were available, and it just wasn't ready for prime time. Temps aren't consistant; one time it runs too hot, the next the temps run too cool. I haven't used it in a long time and have been thinking about just setting it out and let the scrap collectors have it. As I understand it, the company stopped selling the PBJ until the could get them right. That is to their credit. I just wish I had waited awhile so they could work out the bugs before I bought.

Comment

• tenphases
        tenphases commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow I haven't heard this before thanks for the info

I have to admit that I have been waiting to see the PBX with the thought of purchasing. I'm disappointed that they didn't address some conveniences that could have been easily added, or at least offered as options, such as wheels, and a lid with an adjustable vent. I'm not really interested in a PBC that has not made any changes except for size.

I never really liked their ash catcher because it allows the grease to pool under it during a cook. I went back to using a double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil to line the bottom of the barrel for each cook. It's easy to just fold up with the ash and grease inside and toss at cleanup time.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; August 16, 2021, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed and why not have a way to hang the coals higher or lower temps grate so it can grill also?

I was hoping to see a built in way to set up multiple grates to stack stuff that won’t hang.

• Planner47
        Planner47 commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc you are absolutely right about the vent. i put one on the lid and it make it sooo much better to keep the temp.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I also noticed they do not offer a rain cover for it, but I imagine you could use one intended for a 22" kettle.

I really thought they were going to change the air intake system to that of the barrel house cooker now that they own the patents. That's disappointing, I really prefer it.

Comment

Something I will get down the road is this or the original. It will be nice to read experiences of those that get one. Really like the PBJ and got the vertical PitBoss pellet smoker working good and reliable with an aftermarket control box. Next couple of cookers for me will be a stick burner and a gravity fed.

Comment

I have the original and have been eyeing up larger options for the last year. I was on the fence between a Gateway and waiting for this. I'm gonna take the above advice and wait a bit more to hear some reviews before pulling the trigger either way. I was leaning towards a Gateway before the PBX came out so we'll see how it performs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here