Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large Packer going on the PBC tonight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Packer going on the PBC tonight...

Picked up a 16+lb Choice brisket from HEB this week ($2.48/lb). Done my last couple of briskets on the Kettle with the SnS, so a bit out of practice with the PBC. Going to be serving this at a Fantasy Football draft tomorrow between 12-2pm.
    So looking for a little bit of advice from the group...
    1) Given the size, 20 inches long, 16 lbs, should I separate this thing somehow (the flat/point)? Interested to hear about how split cooks have gone.
    2) When should I throw it on, and how does that change if I do split it?
    Thanks!

I am not the definitive expert, but I usually split the point from the flat. It allows for more control on the temperature of cook, I think it is safe to say the point will take longer than the flat. Best of luck! Dan

Comment

I have never split mine, although many do. I would think that you are looking at 10 hrs on the pit and then 3 to 4 hours resting time. If I was you, I would throw it on at 12 am. Then wrap it at about 175 F and take it up too 203 F. I have never done choice before, only prime, so I don't know if they cook faster or slower or at the same rate. But just make sure that its not too long that it hits the coals. If its too long, I would split it and hang both pieces independently. The cooking times will go down by about 2 hours I would think because the meat is not as thick after the split. Good Luck. Hope to see some pictures.

Comment

I got three going right now and I split two of them.

I cut down the point past the tip of the flat (had already cleaned that fat out), and just folded that tip over when I hooked the flat to hang. This leaves a little bit of the point under the flat, albeit a flatter point.

I set my Auber for 265, the biggest was 13 pounds pre-trimmed, and I am pushing to get them done by 1700, hung 'em at 0945. Serving around 19:00 for the two I split. Both points are wrapped and getting done so I can burnt end them suckas.
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 4, 2015, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks all! It is now split, rubbed with BBBR, and hanging out in the PBC. IGrill2 ranges are set and it's nap time for this guy! I will try to remember to get some picks when done. I am excited for my draft tomorrow, mainly because it means real NFL games are just around the corner! Go Texans!

Comment

Brisket got rave reviews at the draft party! Thanks for the input to all who gave it.
            Put the brisket on at 11:30 last night. Didn't touch the PBC again until 8:30am. It held a constant temp all night. I did split it. The point was done at 8:30. And then flat was done at 10:30.

Comment

#dudeperfect right there!!!

If you ain't cookin' for bark, why you cookin'

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
                Koy Schoppe commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! It helped my draft too! Distracted the other teams with brisket....

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                hahaha, double duty brisket.

That looks awesome Koy Schoppe !

Comment

Looks GREAT! Koy Schoppe

Comment

Beautiful! Awesome cook!

Comment

Good Stuff!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here