Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st PBC cook - spare ribs - not quite right, what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st PBC cook - spare ribs - not quite right, what am I doing wrong?

So did my first run on the PBC tonight. Bought a 2kg / 4.4 lb rack of spare ribs and trimmed off the flap, the chine bone, removed the membrane and squared everything off nicely. Dry brined, then memphis dust and fired it on to the PBC for my first cook. Cook was approx 5 hour (give or take) and temp was about the 250 / 275 mark for much of the cook (I'm still trying to dial in my coal placement to start / the perfect vent placement). The finished product was very very tasty...but...(there's always a but), I had 2 problems. 1) some of the bark was incredibly tough. I bit through the tender meat and then the bark I hit was like leather (albeit incredibly tasty when i did tear through it) I have no idea if this is due to something I've done wrong regarding the cook, if this is to be expected or it it's just a freak accident 2) The cartilage in the tip meat had not softened up at all, I ended up having to trim it off the rest of the ribs after I ate my first one. I was wondering if I'd be better using standard st louis cut rather than full spare on the PBC due to it being a little higher temp / shorter cook than an offset (I was getting my trimming advice from people who usually cook on offsets)?

Overall the flavour was great and I enjoyed my first cook, just trying to dial in the process now. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Pit!
    I don't normally buy spare ribs. St Louie's are our favorite, from Costco,. I don't really dry brine ribs, I just put my rubs on earlier in the day of the cook. Usually finished in 3.5 hours. I will start probing between the bones at 3 hours. Probe tender between the bones is my goal. I let my PBC do its thing. Most of the cook is in the 275 range. Please check out the channels section as there is a lot of good info on the PBC.

PBC, PBJ, PBC!

Comment

Sorry, don't have ,e no PBC, so can only speculate...

If'n ya hung em, I can see how th part hangin down nearest th fire mighta got more done faster than th rest of yer racks...

Comment

10-4 no PBCer here either but sounds like they’re overdone.ill let the PBC pros weigh in

Comment

I did a set of spares yesterday on the PBJ. I trimmed out the SLC and hung the spare meat separate, get it, spare meat.

Cartilage on the spares is like bone. I've never had it do anything but stay white and hard.

The edges close to the lid can get a little drier since you are at peak heat and gravitational pull is running moisture down to the fire.

Comment

• impishgrin
            impishgrin commented
            Editing a comment
            That makes sense now that you mention it. I wonder if the sugar in the rub had something to do with it as well. I'll have to check next time which area the tougher bark comes from.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Can't help on the PBC. What got me, you've been a member since April 17' and this is your 1st post!
            Let me say Welcome from Western Massachusttes. Please visit more often.

Comment

• impishgrin
              impishgrin commented
              Editing a comment
              I know, I've mostly been a lurker up until now, I'll have to get more involved. I'm sure I'll be seeking more advice in the future

Not sure here. The bark should be on the outside, and you should bite through it to get to the meat. You said the other way around, and I’m confused.

Comment

• impishgrin
              impishgrin commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry, that wasn't particularly well worded. I meant the bottom bit of bark as I was biting in to it. Bit through the top bark and the meat perfectly, but the bottom bit was TOUGH

• Duanessmokedmeats
              Duanessmokedmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you remove the membrane on the bottom of the ribs? That can cause a chewy bottom bite.

I have only cooked St. Louis ribs on my PBC but 5 hrs seems awfully long cook for a PBC. I’m closer to 3 1/2 to 4 hr mark so I think you just let it ride too long

Comment

Belated welcome to the Pit!!!

So, I don’t cook on a PBC and comment on that part. HOWEVER, from what I know most folks tend to cook faster on a PBC than on a traditional smoker. That may be why you had some tough bark.

As far as the spares, cartilage, etc go ….. you want to trim all the way down to SLC’s. Here’s the best article on how to trim spares to SLC’s there is, in my opinion :-)

The great thing, if you do this, is that you have rib tips (the cartilage bit) AND the sternum for making soup or beans with. It’s win-win-win

Comment

Baby back ribs were usually done in 3-3.5 hours on the PBC. I did not cook spares, but that sounds a little long. The PBC usually cooks a bit faster than most cookers.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, 5 is tops, usually 4 1/2.

• Soonerpop
                Soonerpop commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree on baby backs. St. Louis maybe 1/2 hour more.

I don’t get fancy & trim my spares to St. Louie, just cook the whole shebang. Cartilage is cartilage, agree with Jerod. Sounds like they came out alright to me. 260 to 275 ya whatever as long as it’s close. The bark thing, well I’d have to stop by & let you know. Keep er smokin!
              BTW, full spares are cheaper than trimmed, & they are easier to trim when cooked. Plus, ya have more tasty meat! Again, 4 to 4 1/2 usually, 5 might be a tad long.
              Last edited by FireMan; July 25, 2021, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                I like to trim and cook the trimmings as snacks. Then enjoy snacks with PBR.

Thank you all for your help. From what I can gather then I've probably let it run too long and not trimmed it quite to my own liking. I suppose those things are to be expected. First run on the PBC and first time trimming a full set of spares. I'll just have to go out and buy some more ribs to practice with. But first, I've got a whole duck and a tri-tip to try. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                For a PBC your temps were spot on and it sounds like you had a good cook. Like others have said above my spares/st louis ribs take 3-3.5 hours. I love buying spares and trimming down to St Louis. Their cheaper and I can cook those tips how I like them...HA.
                Trim them down close to the actual rib bones so you don't have to mess with the cartilage on the actual rib bones.
                Have fun experimenting.....this reminds me how much I love ribs on my PBC...now I need to cook some this week!!

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto on Dadof3Illinois "Have fun experimenting" the Joy of BBQing

PBC owner here and IMO sounds like they were cooked to long. 3 to 3.5 works for me. And like FireMan I cook spares whole and trim afterwards. I use a lot of the trim in tacos, fajitas, or omelets.

Also, welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Hello From NW Orgeon

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here