Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burnt Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnt Ends

I am planning on doing a packer this weekend and I always slice the entire thing, chop leftovers. This time I wanted to make burnt ends. What technique does everyone use to make the burnt ends on the pbc? I've read about separating the point and flat, but I think I want to keep them together. At what point in time do I separate them to make the burnt ends and can I simply leave the point on the without wrapping and then go to the sauce pan? Thanks for any recommendations. I did read the post on the texas brisket technique but really wanted PBC feedback. Thanks.

i cook my packer all the way. when its done ill lop that point off. cube it, toss it in sauce and some more rub. then put back on the smoker for a while till it starts to caramelize. i usually do that at a higher heat though. i want the sugar to caramelize more than the meat to keep cooking.

Comment

I cook the whole thing wrap a 165 when or when the stall starts take it out when probe tender which is around 200 to 205 meathead is right on the money when he says 203 wrap it up in a blanket or a couple of towels put in fux cambro for a couple hrs. separate point and flat cut point into 1 in. to 1.5 in. cubes put them in a dish with the liquid that comes out of wrapping foil (AJUS) soak real good put into foil pan put back on cooker 30 min 45 min you'll know when, they will be a little crunchy and fatty and perfect and wonderful and almost the best thing that ever touched your tongue and will not go any further about that

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm very exited about these burnt ends for some reason. I'm going to use the texas mop sauce to caramelize them. Should be a good eat.

Comment

I cook both together until the flat is to the temp I want. I start checking to see if it's probe ready around 190. I leave it in and check about every half hour if it's not probe ready yet. When the flat is where I want it, I take the brisket out and cut off the point and put the flat in a faux cambro with a few heated bricks wrapped in a towel. I cut the point into chunks and add to a disposable pan. Heat 1/2 cup of my spicy bbq sauce, 1/4 cup vinegar, and 1 TBS meathead memphis dust to boil and pour over meat in pan. Put in smoker and cook another couple hours in the smoker. DEEEEELISH!
          Last edited by Dr ROK; September 6, 2015, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here