Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt experiment

I finally got the chance to do a pork butt on the PBC. I approached the cook as an experiment, just trying to see what goes on. I figured that any smoked pork butt was bound to be edible, and this one (finally) turned out to be very good. Anyway, I just wanted to see what the PBC would do with an 8.8 pounder. Dry brined for 18 hours, rubbed with Memphis Dust, and on the PBC. Times and temps as follows:

Hours Pit temp Butt IT
    0 303 36
    1 300 63
    2 279 107
    3 278 136
    4 265 156
    5 246 167
    6 236 171
    7 246 171
    8 242 172
    9 242 172
    10 246 172
    11 230 174
    12 197 174

As you can see, and as I expected, it had a BIG stall, but I was in no hurry, and decided to wait it out. I was surprised to see that the PBC lasted as long as it did on one fill of charcoal. But when it finally pooped out, I finished the butt in the oven, which took about an hour. No pictures, as by then it was late and we tore into it with the Bear Claws and scarfed some down. Now we have some great leftovers. Tomorrow some is going on a pizza - yum!

Next time I will pull at around 160 and wrap, but this time was pretty much a fun experiment, with a tasty result.

Glad it turned out good for you! I just pulled mine at 162* after 4.5 hours. I wrapped it and put it back on!

Comment

Informative. Did you do anything to the rebar holes? Plug them up with tin foil or anything or just as is? Looks like a good stable temp in 240-250 hrs 5-10. Nice.

Comment

I did nothing other than the normal setup, both rebars in place, and the vent is still at factory setting (I am at 165' above sea level). As I said, this was just to see what the PBC would do by itself. Next time I will use the crutch, though. The Pulled Pork Pizza was devine, last night was Pulled Pork Potatoes, and tonight might be Pulled Pork Pasta. I'm on an alliterative roll.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here