Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen Prime Costco Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen Prime Costco Brisket

I've had a Prime Brisket from Costco in the freezer for a few months. It's all thawed and ready to trim and smoke tomorrow. I've never stored a brisket in the freezer, I've always used them within a few days of purchase. Will a thawed brisket cook dryer? I'm thinking of injecting. I've ever done that before. Any experience with cooking frozen and then thawed brisket?

Thanks, in advance.

It will be fine. I’ve made prime rib roasts that have been vacuum sealed for 2 1/2 years, briskets that have been vacuum sealed for 1 1/2 years. They’ve all been fine.
    Last edited by Mosca; June 12, 2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I hear its very dangerous to eat frozen / defrosted meats. For your safety please take it from the freezer and ship to my address immediately. I will forgo any hazardous waste disposal charges this time.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Hawker has moved. His new address is:

Panhead John
        Houston, Tex.

The potential water loss from thawed briskets is minimal compared to what they puke up during smoking.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        Well said!

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Today I learned that brisket drippings can be made unappealing.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard what a way with words you have...

K.

I cannot unsee "Randy" cookin that frozen brisket. 😳

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        It is forever etched in my mind as well.

I’ve become kind of a fan of injecting when I do a brisket on the PBJ, especially when I do them hot and fast. You probably don’t need to, but they come out really juicy.

Comment

• Thomassen
        Thomassen commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never injected. What is your procedure? With the grain? Against the grain? Both? I decided to go without injecting this morning.

• Soonerpop
        Soonerpop commented
        Editing a comment
        With the grain.

I decided to smoke without injecting. Up at 4:30. Brisket trimmed from 17.6 lbs to 12.5, Dalmatian rub, and hung at 5:30.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Got some pics for us?

Sorry, no pics this time out. The point was melt in your mouth tender and half of the flat was very nice too. One third of the flat seemed dry. Very little smoke ring. Flavor was good. No complaints!

Comment

I check for a smaller brisket every time I hit Costco, so good to know I can freeze if I am lucky enough to bag one of the elusive buggers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here