Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little dry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little dry.

Cooked 2 St. Luis Style Ribs and a 2.5 lb pork butt in PBC. Pork butt on at 11:30 am & ribs on at 2. I wanted to keep the temp between 225-250. It was hard to go below 240. Temp stayed 250-270. Twice spiked up to 320. Plugged all holes & got it down. Cooked butt to 170 then crutched it. Took it to 203 took off wrapped in 2nd foil, butcher paper then towel & cambroed it. It was not dry, but not real juicy. Dried out some. Not sure why. Cooked ribs, till bend test. Did not crutch them. No do 3-2-1 method. Any ideas why a little dry?

How were the ribs coming off the bone?

I find my SLC's come out pretty dry if: 1. I don't dry brine for very long or at all 2. I rush things and take them off before an adequate passing of the bend test, meaning, I get a bend, but not to the extent that it needs to be.

And when they do seem dry, they are a little harder to get off the bone, which means I may not have melted quite enough fat and connective tissue.

Comment

Did not have time to brine at all. Just put on mustard & MH MD, sit for 1/2 hr then in PBC. On the bend test it was a little stiff as I think about it. just cracked a little and a little stiff. Was not not fall off bone done.

Comment

• mackdaddy
        mackdaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        The crack did not go across the rib, just the center. With what Medusa said, I think I took them off 1/2 hour to early. I'm paranoid I'll over cook them.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard +1 that. mackdaddy if you pick them up and they break completely in half you may have overcooked them. Otherwise, a big solid crack is your friend.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        NOBODY you will cook for will complain about over-cooked ribs. And as close as you are watching it, it won't be overdone much.

Can't offer any advice about the butt, and I've only done 1 slab of ribs (pork loin back - not baby back) on the kettle / SnS combo.

3 lbs ribs took about 4 hours. Temps up/down between 225 - 250. I attribute the temp ride to the use of hickory chips vs. chunk.

The 1st bend test clearly indicated that the ribs weren't quite done. When I did the 2nd bend test 30 minutes later, I got a picture perfect result regarding the "crack". The crack was almost completely across the slab. Ribs did not fall of the bone, but when we ate them, they came "clean" off the bone.

BTW, your sliced ribs look pretty good!

-- Ed

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here