Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question on Brisket timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question on Brisket timing

Tomorrow is my wife's birthday, and I am doing a choice brisket for her and a bunch of friends who are coming over. Since it is harvest (I make wine) I'm at work all day long, so the PBC is coming to work as well. My plan is to pull the Brisket around 5:30, and faux cambro it while I drive home, and server at maybe 7 or so.

The Brisket is 12lbs before trimming, I'm leaving the point and flat attached. Pit temp will probably hang between 250-275. I was not planning on doing a crutch unless I fall behind on my time. What time do you folks think I should put it on the pit?
    FWIW I am at sea level.

I know this has been covered before but I'm running out of time searching for an answer. I saw PBC cook times thread, but aside from the 9lb that took 9.5 hours (not sure if that was trimmed or not trimmed weight) I'm struggling to find a cook time. (the 12lb on the cook time thread didn't record pit temp and was crutched).

This is my first full packer, and the first time I have done any part of a brisket on the PBC.

It has been dry brining since 9am this morning, and will get injected with Belching Beaver Milk Stout and low sodium beef broth (little broth to cut the co2). rubbed with bbbr minus the chile's since kids will be eating too.

sorry for the sloppy typing, but my computer battery is at 1%.

Cheers

If you want it to be done by at least 5:30 and cook til bark:30, I would have it hanging by 6 am to be safe. You can always bring the heat up to 300+ when it is wrapped to get her done. I did one in 3 hours 21 minutes. Longest has been over 12 hours running 225 on a barrel full of 'em.

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      bark:30 -- hahahaha... I am gonna use that!

Thank you sir. Firing up the pit right now. I was afraid you would say 6am, haha

Comment

Put some frozen butts on at 6AM myself, seems awfully early to be making dinner.

Comment

She came out beautifully. On at 7:15 (read Jerod's comment a bit late) with some red oak. Pit temps were 250-275 on average. Pulled off at 4:57 with an IT of 203, wrapped with milk stout and bit of beef broth. Put it in the Faux for 2.5 hours, and it was still to hot to hold when I carved it. Sorry I had a hungry crowd and didn't take finished picks. the flat was a tad dry, but when I carved the point/flat those were the money slices.

Comment

Oh, and it stalled at 154 for 2.5 hours, when I finally caved and crutched.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Of the last 50 briskets I've cooked, not one has stalled, they can't stall if you don't take their temperature.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here