Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you always leave fan controller adapter on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you always leave fan controller adapter on?

I’d like to add a fan controller for some cooks like bacon where I want a lower more controlled temp throughout. Does anyone leave their adapter for the fan controller in their PBC all the time or have something they use on the end of the adapter to open/close the opening when running without the fan controller? I’d really like to avoid the hassle of taking the adapter on and off depending on the cook I want.

At first I kept removing my Pit Viper, but it seemed like that could get ugly as I use the pbc weekly. The cover fits over the fan just fine and protects from the sun/elements. So far so good.

Comment

I take the Pit Viper fan off the adapter after every PBC cook that I use it for. The opening in the adapter seems just right for non-fan cooks on the PBC, so I never remove the adapter. So far.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
        I take the Pit Viper fan off the adapter after every PBC cook that I use it for. The opening in the adapter seems just right for non-fan cooks on the PBC, so I never remove the adapter. So far.

Kathryn
        Thanks Kathryn. What elevation are you at? And just so I’m clear, you leave the adapter completely uncovered and are smoking in a 250-300 degree range without the fan controller?

Comment

Yes, Tman4024 , I smoke at the 250-350 range with the adapter in place. I'm at 3700 ft altitude.

Kathryn

Comment

On my kamado, I was leaving the fan on but after the fan died I stopped doing that. I have no idea if leaving it on caused the damage but I suspect it may have.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I see you guys are just talking about the adapter so never mind.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to know about the fan, though. Thanks.

K.

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              I've thought about doing the same thing but been afraid that even if it's undercover it will draw moisture outside so I take mine off every cook, but I do leave the adapter on my weber and don't always cover up the opening with the cap.

I keep mine in the garage so I’m not worried about the moisture. I just want the ease and flexibility to run an fan or not depending on what I’m cooking. I think I’m going to try the bbq guru setup and see if I can find some kind of adjustable slide cover for the adapter pipe so I can control air intake manually when not using the fan. Im at sea level so running fully open like Kathryn does will probably make it run too hot.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Give it a try. You never know. If you think it runs too hot, partially cover the adapter's opening. I'm all for convenience and for being able to use the PBC old school as well as with a fan when the mood strikes. I bet you can do it too.

Kathryn

I take the fan off but not the adapter. For me, it would be too much of a hassle to keep installing/removing it. That means I us the fan all the time when I cook.
            Last edited by JimLinebarger; June 2, 2021, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I take the adapter out if I am not doing a controlled cook where it requires the fan. That is mainly because I use it on my BGE where airflow has to be restricted.

Comment

I leave the adaptor on. It would take to long to take it off. I've yet to try a traditional PBC cook with the adaptor on.

Comment

I have the PartyQ fan and adapter. I found that when i dont need a precise temp, the adapter still gives me a cook in the 275 range. I am at 800 ft above sea level.

Comment

Well before there was a fitted solution for the PBC I just cut a second hole for the adapter. Then I could plug either the adaptor or the stock opening depending on what I needed.

Comment

Nope.

Comment

just put a bellows adp. on the pbg today and i was thinking the same thing. going to have to try a cook with the adp, only.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What are you cooking? Let us know how it turns out.

Kathryn

• Planner47
                          Planner47 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          fzxdoc
                          doing a turkey on the rec tec today. ribs this weekend on the pbc probably.
                          Last edited by Planner47; July 8, 2021, 09:11 AM.

i take the fan off after every cook just so it doesn't get damaged, its at the perfect height to get hit by my kids taking their bikes out of the garage or bumped into moving stuff around. but I use if for every cook now. I have the thermoworks signals.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here