Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember folks, clean out those ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember folks, clean out those ashes

I've loved my PBC since day 1. I started with it in 2014 and still love it. However, I'm terrible at remembering to clean the ashes out after a cook. As a result, I have a hole in the bottom that gets bigger every year. 2 years ago I had a buddy cut me a 1/4" plate to put in the bottom and that is holding well. I figure I can still get another year or two out of it, but I'll have to replace it at some point. I'm not complaining, but just wanted to send yall a reminder to keep things clean if you want them to last forever. Click image for larger version

Name:	8778CED6-56ED-4D84-BE3B-8AD98B7DF48B.jpeg
Views:	554
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	1038843

Well...at least it’s easy to get the ash out now! 😂

Comment

Sorry to hear that you have a problem with your ash...

Comment

Gosh. I've never seen something like that. How do you even get a good fire with so much ash buildup under the basket from previous cooks? Sometimes the ash from a single PBC cook of mine is up to the bottom of the basket, potentially restricting airflow for future cooks. I clean it out every single time.

I line the bottom of my PBC with 2 layers of heavy duty aluminum foil before each cook. That protects the bottom of the barrel from the grease and ash buildup during a cook much better than PBC's ash catcher does (which I used but took off after a couple of cooks when the grease ran under the ash catcher, making a big mess). I use the foil to make a packet of the cooled ash the day after a cook and toss it away. Easy peasy cleanup.

Edited to add: My PBC was purchased in 2014 as well. No probs with burnout of the the bottom of the barrel. Still as solid as the rest of the barrel.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; June 1, 2021, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• BruceB
          BruceB commented
          Editing a comment
          I used the same process with the double heavy duty foil in the bottom. Worked great for getting the ash out easily and cleanly. My issue is that the PBC lived outdoors in the soggy Pacific NW, and even though it was always covered using a PBC brand cover and sitting up on its stand, the bottom edge seam of the barrel ended up rusting out. Having fun with the Silverbac pellet pooper, but I miss the PBC.
          Last edited by BruceB; June 1, 2021, 03:01 PM.

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          I got my PBC in November of 2019 and the bottom seam is also starting to rust out slightly. the PBC sits on a patio, covered with the PBC cover, but rain bouncing of the concrete and onto the PBC is what is apparently doing it. And I live in a swamp.

• tlfillingim
          tlfillingim commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't have ash build-up. I just wouldn't clean out the PBC until it was time for the next cook. In South MS the air is humid enough all the time to make these ashes wet enough to rust. The first 5 years of its life it lived under my carport. This is where the rust started. The last 2 years it's been outside but covered and the rust has been much worse.

I only added the ash pan after the first pin hole showed up so it was probably too late then.

I am wondering if you leave the PBC out in the rain without a cover? Wet ashes are highly corrosive and could cause this type of rust through. I have ashes in the bottom of my Weber Performer much of the time between cooks, but it is covered and stays dry inside, so I've not seen these type issues.

Comment

I never thought of it before, but one advantage to a ceramic cooker is it can’t rust out, but removing the ash is probably a cheaper fix.

Comment

Yep! I tell people this all the time! That ash is corrosive!

Sorry to see this.

Comment

i got the ash pan when I bought my PBC and it's wonderful. provided I lift it out carefully there is hardly any ashes left at the bottom. I also snuff out the coals after most cooks in a metal bucket with a lid that I purchased for this purpose. Mine's only a year old or so but might be a different story after 7 years of cooks.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                Michael_in_TX commented
                Editing a comment
                lol...yes, I hate it when I lift the ash tray out too quickly and bang it against one of the grate supports and white ash goes everywhere.

• latenight71
                latenight71 commented
                Editing a comment
                yep. done that a lot of times. usually get a dustinv to my face, as well!

That truly is a pain in the ash. Sorry that this happened..

Comment

I have a first generation PBC that has a hole in the bottom. It's retired out in the barn. I kept mine cleaned out and with the PBC cover on it on a carport that has sides and mine still rusted out. I think what caused mine was because I left the ash catcher laying flat on the bottom when not in use and it would trap condensation between it and the bottom of the barrel. I ended up buying a replacement barrel and lid from PBC for $169 but before I could use it, I found a used PBC on market place and have been using that since. I now leave the ash pan propped on it's side inside the barrel and no longer cover it with the cover.

Comment

PBC, PBc, pbc?

Comment

I have one of the originals.
                    It's been kept outside all the time, uncovered. Every year I try to make a point to get rid of any surface rust and spray paint with Rustoleum or equivalent. All on exterior surfaces.

Comment

Wow I have one and never knew this was a problem thanks

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here