Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auber on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auber on the PBC

I read the excellent reviews on the Auber temp control system and Jerold's posts on his modifications to his PBC. I would like to improve the temp control of my PBC with an Auber system, but I have a some questions.

Jerold (or anybody else who is using the Auber on a PBC), you have an attachment that the blower is bolted to that goes to a pipe, in a later version, or directly to the PBC in an earlier version. I prefer the direct route because it would generate better air flow than a route with corners. Where did you get this attachment? Do you think the blower would get too hot if you used the spring attachment in the vent hold on the bottom of the barrel? Given the curve of the barrel, would there be an air leak problem and it there was, could you fix it with aluminium duct tape?

Would the blower work OK with the stock vent holes at the top of the PBC or do you need the pipes with valves?

Thanks

I'm at work, I'll get back to this around 1530 CST. Easier tp type on the lap top at my desk than a phone.

Comment

• dmkbbq
      dmkbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I thought about making this a private message to you but I thought there were people with a PBC who might be interested in your comments. It would have been easier if Auber had a unit specifically for the PBC.

The pit is a great resource for us.

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      good idea dmkbbq

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      dmkbbq and when I got this I only had about 3 minutes left on my break, and only 5 more minutes to respond on my next break before I got off work.

I am using a heatermeter on my PBC for temp control, which not only has the fan, but a servo damper to open and close the airflow as needed. It has been a bit tricky get it adjusted right, but the location of the hole for the fan was critical. I first placed it just over the top of the basket. Not good. I then repositioned (sadly another hole) to just below the basket. Works great. I am using 1 inch pipe and through wall fittings. I taped over the stock vent and I did not make any other modifcations to the PBC.
    Temperature control is awesome and definitely improves the outcome.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet set up...

• dmkbbq
      dmkbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for taking the time to provide this information and include the pictures. This is what I am looking for. I'm glad it works great. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few more questions.

Is the hole for the fan the same hole that comes on the PBC? If not, did you just tape the original intake hole shut?

I see heatermeters on the Auber website but I would like to know the model number you ordered so I can be sure of getting the right one. I would also like to know about the pipe that goes into the hole, what size, how long, etc.

Finally, did you do anything to the outlet vents. I would prefer to leave them alone, but I am looking for ideas on how to improve temp control.

Thanks,

I'll address this in linear fashion and try to get it all.

1. I just rigged up a 1" pipe and used those threaded conduit washers to hold it. The longer pipe loosened up a lot during the move, so I have that plumber's metal tape holding for good now.

2. I went to the longer pipe b/c I wanted to try and reduce the blast of air going in. Didn't work. Even with those two 90's in that pipe, air comes out all the same. It is also easier to hook up, rather than having to get down on the concrete.

3. I tend to run mine pretty much with at least one pipe closed. I mainly use the fan as a supplement. With 4 briskets hanging, my temp will settle, but when they start to sweat, the temp drops. The fan is more of a back up, and it also helps keep my temp at 250. That seems to be a good temp to get those things done in a timely manner. I tried running 225 and it took over 12 hours for some briskets.

4. I see many hook ups with the fan directly attached to a vent for a firebox. Just have to try it and see, but I didn't care for the heat on the pipe I had coming out, so I didn't mind moving it up top for that reason too.

5. When I set it up again I will have two plates in the barrel to divert air. I use one already where the air comes in, to push it left, to the opposite side that the vent intake is feeding. I will place another to block the air getting to the vent. That way it won't impeded the air flow for the vent. I noticed it on the last cook. I didn't like it blowing directly under the basket, too much ash going up.

Shoot back if you need anymore specifics......

Comment

• dmkbbq
      dmkbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod, thanks for taking the time to provide this information. I am trying to figure out a practical way to incorporate a blower and temp controller in the PBC. He says he has awesome temp control, which is a pretty impressive endoresment. As you can see from the note to eschrank, I am intrigued with his solution and want to explore it a little more. I don't want to start cutting holes in the barrel unless I really know what I am doing.

My set up is not the Auber, but a "home built" Heatermeter. Google that and you will find a whole internet world of guys building these and providing 3d cases, servo dampers, and control theory.... more geeks than you can imagine (unfortunately i fall into that category too!) Very fun project if you are a DIY guy. So my hole is a 1" using one pipe and fittings from Home Depot. I covered the stock whole with A/C duct tape. The advantage that I have is the flexibility of the heater meter. I have an 8cfm fan, but in the HM settings I can adjust what 100% is. I currently run it from 10-50% of max output. So the whole system uses both a servo controlled damper and the fan to keep things at the set temperature. And I do all the settings from my laptop or phone. too cool. see picture of temperature control below. Oh. And it has 3 probes plus the pit probe (so four total). You can set separate alarms for each probe. I'll stop now.

Comment

I never worried about getting a temp controller until I needed to leave 3-4 briskets cooking in it while at work. I didn't want the temp dropping too much and extending the cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here