Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC Rehab

I've had my PBC for almost 7 years now (original powder coat version). As it was my first charcoal cooker, so it got frequent use at first. A few years ago I posted a question about cleaning the inside and was advised not to, so I didn't. As I acquired a kettle, a Smokey Joe and a Big Green Egg, the PBC's use declined, and over the last year and a half or so it hasn't been used at all because there has just been the 2 of us to feed. It has been covered with the PBC cover and under a rain proof roof. A week or so ago I took the cover off and there was some rust on the outside that won't effect function. The inside, however was covered with mold. Tried to scrape it off and burn it off . . . nope. So, I figured what the heck, and broke out the pressure washer sand blaster attachment and nailed the mold and most of the other gunk on the inside. Not completely down to bare metal, but close. Of course it immediately started to rust. So I applied a very light coating of oil and burned it in with a full basket of lump. More or less seasoned the inside. She ain't pretty, but we just had a brisket point and some beef back ribs that cooked just as good as a brand new cooker. Didn't take a before, but here's an after.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PBC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	298.1 KB ID:	1034894

Note to self, don't store the cooker in a cover that cannot breathe for a long period of time. Maybe it'll last another 7 years, who knows?
    Last edited by johnec00; May 22, 2021, 07:43 PM.

Nice outcome! Pressure washers are great aren't they for this service! All except for the bath you get when you wash something like this!

I need to apply the washer to a couple of my grills. I have a PK360 that is begging for it.

Comment

PBC, PBC, PBC!

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        PBC? PBC? PBC? what you say?

That barrel Is LEGEND!

Comment

I have a newer one that I hadn't used for a couple of months. This spring, I took the cover off and also has mold. The "seasoning" on the inside had turned to a hard crust and is pealing away from the inside walls. I used Dawn dish soap to clean it and was also concerned about using it because off the mold. But it cleaned up ok. The inside is still pealing but it functions fine. Fortunately no rust. The PBC likes to be used.

Comment

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea, I tried dawn, easy off, scrub pads, scrapers. Could almost see the mold giving me the finger. Even the pressure washer with plain water didn't really do much. But mixing in the sand made quick work of the mess.

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Just curious, do the new PBCs have the porcelain finish on the inside, or just the outside?

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          johnec00 Not sure. It says that it is steel coated with porcelain but it only mentions the outside. I haven't seen any rust on/in mine.

I use my Traeger regularly, therefore is no mold problem for me.
        Mold doesn't take long to form, so I consider using it as part of maintenance.
        But that is just me you see.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here