Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combo post of geeking out about the Fireboard/Pit Viper Fan and a question on buffalo wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combo post of geeking out about the Fireboard/Pit Viper Fan and a question on buffalo wings

TASK (Cooking a roaster chicken then 30+ buffalo wings.)
    The priority was bringing a friend the chicken and a few hours later try making buffalo wings for the first time. Typically to do one chicken, a half basket of coals is sufficient. Not this time. I needed this to last longer than 3 hours and be running hot. So full basket.

TECH-GASM (It's a thing where technology works better than you thought it would)
    I used one rebar (why make the fan work harder than it needs to/drain battery) and set the temps on the Fireboard that it stays at 330 until the roaster chicken hits 130, then it cranks the temp up to 430 until the chicken reaches 160. Worked great as usual (1 hour and 20 minutes-ish). However after the chicken was done, I wanted to put the PBC into hibernation. So rebars are both in and I have the coals stay at 290.

2.5-3hrs later we are wrapping up visiting with friend. I grab my phone and tell the Fireboard to crank the temps up. By the time I got home, I could throw the wings on the PBC immediately and cook for another 45 minutes.

QUESTION
    So when cooking buffalo wings do you keep the rebars out? And cook for 45 minutes on the grate with maybe flipping halfway through? Or go the PBC cooker website style (video not the messed up written recipe) and do 35 minutes, flip wait 5 minutes, flip again wait 5 minutes with top cracked?

Hi,

i don’t use rebats so I can’t help sorry. I was curious to know what is your smoker and if you like your firebird with Pit Viper Fan. I am looking to buy one and was wondering if it worth the investment.

thanks

Comment

• kill2grill
      kill2grill commented
      Editing a comment
      Like jfmorris mentioned...my pit barrel is a bit different. If you want to know about the Fireboard/Pit Viper Fan you need to check out on this site who has used it for your style bbq. You might need to change out the fan depending on what you are using.

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      Frank164 To answer your question, yes. The Pit Viper is well worth the investment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Frank164
      I use the fireboard and pit bull fan on my large LSG insulated cabinet with good results

I find the cooking times on the PBC website recipes to be underestimates of the actual time. There are some good links here on the Pit for cooking stellar wings on the PBC. Here's one, for example:

Hosting a big party for my fiancé's work friends. Should have... 12-14 people. I have been tasked with providing the main event and doing some chicken wings - apparently they're all

Here's another:
    All, I'm planning on doing some smoked wings for the big game this weekend. Now I usually do them in the oven and they come out great. I've got that process all down. I'm about to venture out to my PBC and smoke us some wings because I think that'll just be GREAT this weekend. I've watched a video with Malcom Reed and he did

Kathryn

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Kathryn, I seem to find cooking times underestimated almost across the board, on all my cookers. So many recipes and folks say wings are a quick cook, but I find they usually take 35 to 45 minutes, give or take, to have crispy skin. Doesn't seem to matter if I am cooking on grill grates on my Weber gas grill, or indirect at 350F using the SNS on a kettle or kamado.

• kill2grill
      kill2grill commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the links! I found one of them in my research and checked against the PBC site and what would be helpful is info about what temp the barrel was running at. Too many gaps on barrel temp, if the rebars are in (which gives you a slight idea on barrel temp)...

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. Even Meathead's ribs recipes I can never get done in the stated times. Further, I find ALL wing recipes to be underestimates. But I like my wings very well done and chewy, not slobbery and soft.

When I used to do wings on the PBC, I'd put a cinder block in the barrel to raise the basket up and get the heat up.
    came out pretty great

for chicken legs in the PBC, I'd use twine and tie two together, like nunchucks, and hang them over the rebar.

Now I do wings with the vortex on kettle.

​​​​
    Last edited by BFlynn; November 24, 2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here