Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled pork and ribs ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bergmef
    replied
    I chickened out, I used the grate :-) 7:50 am, 15 pounds of pork. Barrel settled at 275 degrees, no extra plugging of the rebar holes.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by bergmef View Post
    would you try to hang them or just bite the bullet and sit them on the grate?
    I like hanging them until they reach about 160. Then for safety's sake I put them on the grate to finish up, unwrapped, to 199 to 203 deg F internal. I think that part of the cache and yes, I'll say it, flavor, of the PBC cook is due to the meat self-basting itself as it hangs and the drippings hitting the fire (which happens with/without hooking the meat). For that former reason, I try to hang whatever meat I cook on my PBC, at least for a significant portion of the cook.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by bergmef View Post
    I want the fat dripping into the fire ... adding to the aroma
    not to mention more flavor...IMO.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• bergmef
    replied
    I want the fat dripping into the fire ... adding to the aroma

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    replied
    If you set them on the grate you could set them in a foil pan and catch the drippings. Don't have a PBC yet, so don't know if you can catch drippings hanging them.

Leave a comment:

• bergmef
    replied
    would you try to hang them or just bite the bullet and sit them on the grate?

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    I never sauce mine when I pull and refrigerate. I do add any drippings I can recover during the cook and if I can't do that I'll add a TBS or two or three of butter.

You could also use the drippings from your ribs if you can't get the drippings from your butt roasts.

• smarkley
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah cooking 2 butts on Friday is a great idea... I know with my PBC, if I have 2 full butts in it, I dont feel comfortable hanging anything else in it for space reasons.

• bergmef
    replied
    The pit barrel cooker

Leave a comment:

• smarkley
    commented on 's reply
    just out of curiosity... what cooker/smoker are you using?

• bergmef
    replied
    Ok, so I will probably cook 2 pork butts on Friday, pull and Ziploc them, then into the fridge.

Saturday I'll do the ribs ... maybe a chicken if the ribs finish early.

If I was going to do them the 'day of', I wouldn't sauce the pork, I'd have it on the side. Will it get too dry with the overnight?

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    No problem. My advice came from other pit members such as Ernest, so it's nice to be able to pass it on.

• airforcekixbutt
    replied
    Thank you Dr ROK.

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    replied
    I thaw in fridge, nice slow thaw to help prevent as much purge as possible, and then heat in hot water. Take it out o the freezer and put it in the fridge the night before you want to eat it. Then into the hot tub for 30 - 45 minutes for that small of a quantity.

Leave a comment:

• airforcekixbutt
    replied
    So, what is the best way to reheat pulled pork if it is frozen in ziplock bags enough for two people. Put it in warm water like Dr ROK says or thaw it out on the counter and then microwave.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here
2024 Weber Contest