Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilling on the PBJ - Steaks, Burgers, Chops...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilling on the PBJ - Steaks, Burgers, Chops...

Am looking for a better low and slow alternative to the gassers I've used for the past 20-25 years. (With an occasional Charcoal grill in the mix). It's just me and my wife so PBJ is big enough unless it's a really good griller as well as smoker. We always make leftovers so I might go with the PBC if this thing is a good "grill." Most all the PBC bragging I see is smoking. And it's damned impressive bragging.

Also in the purchase mix is the one of the PKs - PKO is the right size for my space but I'm not that crazy about the ash dripping out of the intake vents. 360 is a bit on the large size but would work without the shelves. I could see that replacing the gasser assuming it's as good as it's reputation.

So, back to the point - brag to me about grilling on the PBJ or PBC...

I have a PBC and Weber kettle. To be truthful I do all my grilling on the Weber. I use the barrel for things like poultry, brisket, butts, ribs....... like you said, as a smoker. I know you can and lots of people do but I haven't.
    If you want to replace your gasser I'd recommend you get a Weber kettle with a Slow n Sear. You can do just about anything with this combination. Good luck with your quest!

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said!

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Something is not right in the universe! You had a chance to promote the PBC and you went with a Weber??? Just saying! Maybe the sky is falling?

If you’re going the PBC route, I’d recommend going with the regular size PBC over the Junior, even if it’s just you and your wife. Several years ago I bought the small 14” Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker. While I like it a lot, there’s been several times I wished I’d gotten the mid size. It’s just me here by myself, but there’s been a few times I could have used the extra real estate. There’s not much of a price difference either in the PBCs.

As mentioned above though, for a grilling and smoking combination, your Kettle is your best bet. You can grill or smoke, with the SnS insert. I’ve also got a barrel cooker the OJ Bronco, and a Weber Kettle. While the OJ Bronco can grill as well as smoke, I do all my grilling on the kettle. It’s just a little easier, quicker and a more convenient.

One more thing, if you decide you do want a barrel cooker, don’t overlook the Oklahoma Joe Bronco. I just bought one and love it! It grills as well as it smokes. $300.
    Last edited by Panhead John; May 16, 2021, 12:15 PM. Reason: Wrong price now corrected. Thanks @Uncle Bob

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to have to totally disagree with you Panhead John.
      I have no experience or knowledge to back me up. I'm just doing this on general principal.
      Later in this string you have several people agreeing with you and I don't want it going to your head. You're hard enough to live with as it is

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      ofelles Damn man! I was on a roll. Last time I had 2 people in one day agree with me, we were discussing prison food and how bad it was.

• latenight71
      latenight71 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Panhead John
      This is the PBC channel. No one asked if they should get an Okay Joe. Let's please try to keep this place in order.

I agree with Panhead John. If you are considering a drum cooker that smokes and also grills well I would certainly look at the OJ Bronco. I have a Weber / SNS and PBC and if I had the space would gladly add the Bronco to the stable.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreeing with Panhead John can and will be dangerous to your health.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh contraire! cgrover60 is obviously an intelligent man.

I had a PBC for years and was never happy with the burgers or steaks off it as I was not able to get it hot enough. Others may have had more success, but it is not an ideal grilling tool.

I would also second or third the Oklahoma Joe Bronco as a barrel option and a kettle for grilling.

Alternatively, you could consider a Masterbuilt Gravity 560 which does both grilling and smoking quite well and has addressed the initial quality issues with upgraded parts shipping on all new smokers. I think mine is pretty good,

Comment

FWIW, I went PBC > Weber kettle and PBC > MB 560.

Comment

Kettle up brother. Get the 26".

Comment

I love both my PBC and PKO!

Typically I use the PBC for longer cooks, it's pretty much set and forget. I use the PKO for a more interactive cooking experience!

That said, I usually cook steaks on the PKO. If I were to cook steaks on the PBC, I would reverse sear starting in the PBC and finishing on a grate placed on top of a charcoal chimney.

I place aluminum pans on the bottom shelf of the PKO to collect both ash and drippings.

Comment

• Dalmore
            Dalmore commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife thinks I will be happier with the PKO because it requires a bit more interaction. It's been sometime since I had a charcoal grill and I can't remember exactly why ... My first goal though is low and slow. But getting a unit that can do both would allow me to step back into charcoal grilling if I want.

• cashelton
            cashelton commented
            Editing a comment
            Dalmore I did an 8lb pork shoulder on the PKO, it was great...and the cook was fun. I think a full packer brisket would be difficult, but everything else shouldn't be too complicated. Once dialed into temp it holds pretty steady.

Ultimately, what sold me on it, it's built for a lifetime!

I also cook for just my wife and I and I am glad I went with the 30 gallon size. For us, if you're going to smoke, I want leftovers.

To your original point, yes, the PBC is primarily a smoker. Like many on here, I have a PBC and a kettle. The PBC does the smoking and the weber is relegated to direct grilling and short smokes + searing.

Still, quite a few people have done some hacks to get the PBC to grill rather well. Noah (founder of PBC) suggests using lump charcoal and leaving the rods out and the lid off to get it really hot. Others have come up with ingenious ways (cinderblocks on which the basket sits or hanging the basket with turnbuckles) to get the basket closer to the grate. I have not yet tried these ideas myself, but the latter idea of just raising the basket might get you very close to the best of both worlds.

Comment

Panhead John is just a little off (news flash eh?), but I'm talking about the price on the Bronco. It's only $300 and Oklahoma Joe is running a no shipping charge promo until the 24th of May.

The vibe on here is very strong toward the PBC, in part because it's good at what it does, but the Bronco will do all those things as well and the conversion to grilling is not complicated at all. Added benefits are it already comes with an ash pan, the grilling ability mentioned here several times, wheels, a side shelf, and a well sealed and hinged lid with woven gasket.

Here are some pics to inspire:

Click image for larger version  Name:	bronco ribeye 04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	388.1 KB ID:	1032302

Click image for larger version  Name:	bronco vortex wing 03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	330.0 KB ID:	1032303Click image for larger version  Name:	griddle hunsaker.jpg Views:	0 Size:	395.9 KB ID:	1032304
            Click image for larger version  Name:	picanha bronco 03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.2 KB ID:	1032305

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Dalmore To tag someone, type the @ symbol first, then their EXACT screen name as it appears. Be sure and leave a space AFTER their name before you begin typing your message. When you post it, if the name is in red, you did it right. If it’s in black, you did something wrong and it won’t tag that person.
              Last edited by Panhead John; May 16, 2021, 12:50 PM.

• Dalmore
              Dalmore commented
              Editing a comment
              What charcoal basket are your using in the steak and wings photos?

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              He’s using the Vortex. It’s an accessory you can buy for charcoal grills. Most are around $30.-$40.

If you do take a look at the Bronco, here’s an in depth review from our own Jerod Broussard. It comes with everything you need to convert it for grilling. No hacks needed.

https://amazingribs.com/grill-smoker...smoker-review/

Uncle Bob Thanks, I corrected my price above, it’s $300.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Panhead John; May 16, 2021, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Hate to admit it but I agree with Panhead John to get the original PBC over PBJ. I have a gasser, 22" kettle and a PBC. Each has their place and uses. Only regret about the kettle is I wish I got the 26" instead even though I only cook for 3. The larger cooking area gives you more options. I like wings and even though I modded my PBC to have 3 grate levels, a 26" kettle with a hover grill grate or some other 2nd level would be easier.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
              JimLinebarger commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John Yes, the stars must have aligned. Something to do with the moon or sun eclipsing uranus.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotta tell ya Jim, ain’t much worse stuff out there than when the sun clips Uranus.

• JimLinebarger
              JimLinebarger commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John Yea, I hate it when that happens.

Dalmore , above you asked what fuel holder I used, and PJ gave you a correct answer for those pictures. However, the fuel basket that comes with the Bronco can be used similarly with no added expense. Again, another pic. This shows the fuel basket in the upper grilling position with only using standard, included parts except I fashioned a banking divider from expanded metal to keep the coals to one side of the basket. Even that isn't absolutely necessary as you could just stack the charcoal to one side, I just like to fiddle with stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bronc basket.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1032369Click image for larger version

Name:	bronco basket 02.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1032370

Comment

I have both PBJ and kettle. It’s just me and wife usually. Steaks and burgers are on the Weber kettle, smokes on the PBJ. The PBJ is plenty big enough for any meat I’ve wanted to smoke, but I like to do sides, and the PBC limits me a bit there. I also agree the Okla Joe Bronco is a good combo.

Comment

Something worth mentioning here as well, is a few comments about the diffuser plate, which comes with The Bronco. The PBC does not have one. The diffuser plate has 2 purposes. One is to create more even temperatures throughout the barrel of the Bronco. It helps eliminate any potential hot spots inside. There are air holes throughout the diffuser plate. Also, since the diffuser plate sits above the coals during your smoking session, your meat drippings hit it and not the coals. You still get that added smoke/steam flavor from the drippings hitting a hot surface. By having a diffuser plate you also don’t risk extra fatty meat drippings, extinguishing your coals. A few PBC users have mentioned that sometimes when hanging a chicken, the excess fat dripping directly on the coals, have lowered their temps occasionally.

Pictured is a rack of ribs I recently hung on my Bronco. You can see the diffuser plate below the ribs.
                Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here