Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ competition newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ competition newbie

So I was talked into signing up for a bbq competition for a fund raiser for my kids high school this weekend (and I am a PBC guy). Any tips on what to cook? There are beef, pork and chicken categories. time is short, so brisket seems out (start cooking at 10, judging at 4). Suggestions?

In that amount of time you lose some of the more popular items. Do you cook one of each or enter a category?
    Assuming 1 from each I would do Beef Ribs, Baby Backs or ham depending on the judges, and chicken thighs (or lolipops if I practiced). All of those can be done at the same time, perhaps the chicken late and once you take the ribs off let the temp spike for chicken skin.
    This is a kind of competition I could do, let us know how it goes!

Comment

• eschrank
      eschrank commented
      Editing a comment
      You pay for each category you want to enter. What are lollipops?

_John_ agreed. Definitely stick to ribs for beef and pork, and my pick would be thighs as well for chicken (but I hate chicken so my opinion is moot, LOL). That's an awful short amount of time for anything else.

Comment

I smoked these items this weekend in 5 hours... All went well.

Comment

• eschrank
        eschrank commented
        Editing a comment
        How do you think the chicken would be if I can only marinade for a couple hours? You have to bring the meat with no seasoning to start.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        It would be ok... If you baste it a few times with the marinade while cooking.

You could likely get a small flat done in 6 hours cooking hot. I'd do pork tenderloin, loin or baby backs for pork. That's mighty pretty chicken Breadhead ! You don't say if you have to do all or can choose one. Have fun and good luck!

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        CandySueQ .

That's my absolute ALL time favorite chicken dish. My friends and family all love it when I grill those for them. I use bone in chicken thighs. I marinade them overnight in a zip lock bag. I grill them on my Big Green Egg up high away from the fire box with the lid down at about 275°. I cook them skin side down until I get the crispness and color I want and then turn them over to finish the cook. I baste them with a couple of more coats of the marinade during the cooking process. I pull them at 180°.

This marinate is to die for. I got this recipe from Chef John at Allrecipes.com. He listed it as a marinade for pork chops. I liked it on pork chops so much I started using it on chicken thighs too.

Mongolian chicken thighs.... Marinade

1/2 cup hoisin sauce
        4 cloves garlic, minced
        1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
        1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
        1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
        1 tablespoon rice vinegar
        1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
        2 teaspoons sesame oil
        2 teaspoons white sugar
        1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce... Any type I use Sriracha
        1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
        1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

I quadruple this recipe every time I mix it and keep this in the fridge most of the time.

Try it you might like it.
        Last edited by Breadhead; August 17, 2015, 02:50 PM.

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Saved to my recipe file! Thanks for sharing!!!

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        CandySueQ .

If you try it let me know how you like it and take pictures. I'm curious what you think of the flavor profile.

Thanks for all the tips! The time is pretty short and you have to bring your meat raw and unseasoned. I think I am going with ribs and possibly some chicken. I would have liked to do brisket, but worried about time. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Lolipop Chicken never fails to impress!

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I like making chicken lollipops when I have friends over to watch football games. They make good halftime snacks.

Go Cardinals!

Wow. Those look amazing.

Comment

Chicken Lollipops: 1st Place. Fifty bucks. thanks for the tip.

Comment

Cool @eschrank,nice job,any pics?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here