Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I have a 20 lb turkey in the freezer . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have a 20 lb turkey in the freezer . . .

... am I crazy if I cook it in the PBC.?

Hell no!

I'd defrost first...

..., ..., ...!

Comment

• tdimond
      tdimond commented
      Editing a comment
      Fair.

You know about pulling a rebar out to get barrel temps higher?

Comment

I'd at least spatchcock, if not cook in two halves, but it should work just fine.

Comment

I also recommend you Spatchcock it. I've done this with good success.

Comment

@tidimond the PBC is a poultry cooking machine. I also recommend spatchcocking. I could eat turkey frequently but my wife is not a fan so we are relegated to once a year.

Comment

Yes you are. You should be using a WSM.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              I came here to say this!

I've done turkeys in my PBC before, but not that big - I usually shoot for 12-14 lb if I'm going to smoke one. We got the monster bird when my wife did a Walmart pickup and asked for a turkey breast, and they substituted. So now I want to take care of it over Memorial Day when our neighborhood pod gets together. I'll probably make some Alabama white sauce to go with.

Comment

I like to run 350 and keep the breast side facing the inner barrel, which allows to keep out a rebar, and get the skin plenty brown.

Comment

"A naked blonde walks into a bar with a poodle under one arm and a two-foot salami under the other. She lays the poodle on the table. Bartender says,'I suppose you won't be needing a drink.' Naked lady says..."

Comment

• Old Glory
                  Old Glory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ...forgot my pencil

• Razor
                  Razor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Have you heard the joke about the three legged chicken?"

I've done a 17 lb'er on my pbc, turned out great. I bet a 20lb bird would do great as well, might need to crack the lid a bit though.
                Also YES with the Alabama white sauce! I did that with some chicken this last weekend for a buddy and both him and his wife went crazy over it! My wife has always been 'meh' about chicken in general, but with that sauce she loves when I do chicken.

Comment

I've done a couple 14-16#ers. Dry brined, Cajun buttery injection, salt free Meathead-influenced poultry rub. Whole, hung on the turkey hook.
                  With both of them I cracked the lid, pulled rods and generally monkeyed around with it to run it around 375⁰-400⁰.
                  First one turned out great.
                  Never one to be satisfied with great (it's a problem) I decided to finish the second one in my turkey fryer.
                  I'm not sure what surpasses great, but imagine a smoked, seasoned moist bird with crispy skin and that unique peanut oil touch.
                  Unnecessary? Sure. A crowd pleaser. Yup.

Reminder to all poultry smokers, beware that tenting the bird after pulling it out can compromise your crispy skin.

Comment

Oh, it's 24 lb. How we got a 24 lb turkey when we ordered a turkey breast still boggles my mind . . .

Comment

Half of it's done. The other half needs a few more minutes.

PBC! PBC! PBC! Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210530_195743166.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1038306

Comment

The other half. Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210530_202148099.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	1038326

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here