Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally got a "Perfect" Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got a "Perfect" Butt

I add the parenthesis just because who's to say what's perfect? (haha, many, i'm sure). But, it was a personal best and really a grand slam with the eating audience I had on hand. I went with Meathead's "easy" method of kosher salt dry brine for 12+ hours and Memphis Dust hit before cooking. i put it the barrel at 9am and didn't even look at it until around 1pm just to make sure it was still hanging. it hit 175-degrees at 1:45 and i put it on the grate and again didm't touch it. i finally pulled the lid at 6:05pm when it was sitting at 202-degrees for almost 40 minutes. at that point the bone was loose and it was ready to go (Note to self - calibrate thermos or invest in new ones!!). i pulled it and let it sit for 30 before trying it. a volunteer had already slid of and was deliciously received! oh my! it tasted good!

out of the barrel and resting. oh my, a chunk fell off!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210401_180926390.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1011947

ooooh. luckily, i scored the fat cap to create delicious crispy treats for me.

Name:	IMG_20210401_181119795.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1011949

oh no! meat just tore of the butt in a big tasty strip like it was string cheese! i hope it's ok to eat it . . .

Name:	IMG_20210401_181224017.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1011950

when it's all tore up it gets even more delicious.

Name:	IMG_20210401_210708950.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1011948

YUM1

Looks good, it seems like I have the same problem as you, a small piece always falls off.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Spoils of war my friend....spoils of war!

Bone Run Fo Sho! Thanks for the torture. Thanks for not cooking a boneless.

...notice a "1" didn't interfere with my "!"

Comment

• latenight71
      latenight71 commented
      Editing a comment
      they make pigs without bones? how do they walk?

Looking good. Pork shoulder was the first cut of meat I ever smoked, and it’s still one of my favorites all these years later!

Comment

Will be makin smoke tomorrow now I have some real BBQ pits to use.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Loren
        Loren commented
        Editing a comment
        Show off 😋

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        When did you move?

Were you hanging it a Pit barrel or something else? looks wonderful Bet it made some great sandwiches!!

Comment

• latenight71
        latenight71 commented
        Editing a comment
        smoked on hooks in PBC with two small-ish chunks of peach wood. was very tasty and looking forward to leftovers today!

Looks great! Good that you were pleased...we are definitely hardest on ourselves when trying to make something really good.

Comment

• latenight71
        latenight71 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have thrown meat I ruined in the trash before anyone could taste it on more than one occasion. "Who wants pizza!"

• Duanessmokedmeats
        Duanessmokedmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        My motto is "No matter what, we are going to eat it!"

Congrats on a successful cook. It looks very good.

Comment

When I first saw your post, I was like...Wow....wonder if he’s been working out.
        Last edited by Panhead John; April 2, 2021, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• latenight71
          latenight71 commented
          Editing a comment
          I perfected my own human butt years ago. it's the best kept secret in the LB.

Looks great! I always have to sample lots of barky pieces as I pull the pork. If my wife is in the kitchen during the process, she is sneaking bits too as I shred the butt up!

Comment

Beautiful job! That bark is killer.

Comment

I use to hear that a lot. Now it's only when I smoke some pork.

Comment

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              Bwaaahaha. Beat me to it.

Looks great. I need to try scoring the fat cap one of these times.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here