Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC All Purpose Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC All Purpose Rub

This might be more of a question for the recipe section but since it is somewhat specific to PBC chefs I'll toss it up here. Has anyone reverse engineered the PBC All Purpose Rub? I just ordered a few more bottles from Noah, which I have no problem supporting because I love the all purpose rub and the cooker, but my fiance and I gave it a shot over the weekend. I was at the tail end of my rub that came with the smoker and used what was left to try to match it as best I could. The rub we came up with was good and kinda close to the real deal but it was definitely off.

A great question... Its definitely good stuff. However for pork, after I mixed up a batch of Meatheads Memphis Dust, I'm not looking back. I've got a buddy near by who bought two pbcs (because he can) and I may go in with him some day on the 5lb bag as it works great on chicken as well as ribs etc. However when it comes to reverse engineering such things, my taste buds (and any capability to detect subtle flavors or variations) were destroyed decades ago by Boston University dorm food. So if it does happen, it won't be by me!

Comment

I agree with you on Meathead's Memphis Dust...that's the only thing that touches my ribs. However, I think the all purpose rub is amazing on chicken.

Comment

• JPP
        JPP commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree its fantastic on chicken. Nice fish there BTW. Izzat a big 'ol brown?

• JTK
        JTK commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! It's a steelhead from the Salmon River in NY.

You guys should try the PBC Beef and Game rub on ribs. That's actually the rub they recommend in their rib video.

I agree Memphis Dust is hard if not impossible to beat on ribs though... I just think PBC Beef and Game is better on ribs than PBC All Purpose.

Comment

• JPP
        JPP commented
        Editing a comment
        The beef and game works wonders for the lowly burger too!

I like making my own rubs and sauces, but that is just me

Comment

I started cooking so many butts I got 5 pounds of the All-Purpose. Even if I could somehow reverse engineer, I would rather not have to mix up that much rub.

Comment

I love the stuff but it has too much pepper for my wife and I wanted to re-engineer but haven't.

Comment

I'm down with AP rub for chicken, MMR for ribs and pulled pork, and MBBR+cumin (thanks, David Parrish ) for briskets and chuckies. No reverse engineering for me on the AP. It's too gettable and helps support my beloved PBC's original home.
            Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; August 5, 2015, 05:20 PM.

Comment

For what it's worth, when I smoked my first turkey on my PBC, I only had a little left of the original bottles of their all-purpose rub and beef and game rub. So, I mixed the two together (about equal parts of each) and the turkey was wonderful!

Comment

I'm cooking a beef shoulder roast today, what rub would work with that?

Comment

mackdaddy IMO opinion you can't go wrong with BBBR on beef. But I've never used PBC rubs to know about them. BBBR is easy to make, little goes a long way, and is incredible on smoked beef.

Comment

Made a batch of BBBR after Jerod Broussard posted it. Put it in an empty McCormick Grill Mates spice shaker that I keep now so I can use it as a container and shaker. The 3.4oz container was a perfect size for the amount amount made according to the recipe. Who would have thunk it?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here