Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well.... Thanks To Y’all I’m Fixing Be Out $350. Plus 😡

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well.... Thanks To Y’all I’m Fixing Be Out $350. Plus 😡

I’ve decided I need a smoker to use on my visits to Mom’s house. I’ve got a WSM here at home I use, but no smoker over there. Just a Weber 22” Kettle for grilling. I almost decided to get a cheap sub $500. offset stick burner, then I thought about the PBC. With all the rave reviews about the PBC, I wanna give it a go. My 1st question is, are there any "must have" accessories I should get for it? I’ll use it mainly for an occasional brisket, ribs or pork butts. That’s it. Gonna continue using the kettle for other things. I’ll also probably hang anything I cook and not use the cooking grate. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and read some of Kathryn’s threads on its use. Also, I’ll never cook more than one brisket at a time or maybe two slabs of ribs at most. 2nd question, should I consider the PBC Junior maybe? Thanks.
    Last edited by Panhead John; March 28, 2021, 04:29 AM.

Get the regular, it gives you enough room if you decide to hang four briskets. It's plenty of work but it's also plenty of fun.

Comment

Pffffftanhead john. If you aint using the 22 for smoking then you aint using the 22. Never had or used a barrel style cooker so i cant help you there

Comment

Get a KBQ

Comment

PBC is better that any cheap offset.

I can’t see wanting a junior unless there is a space issue. Extra room is always good.

Buy lots of extra hooks. I like to double hook certain items so they don’t become a burnt offering.
          I also really like the ease of using the turkey hangers for all poultry, not required but makes it even easier to do whole birds.
          The ash pan is helpful for clean up.

I got some of the other accessories but hardly used them. I think I used the corn hangers only a few times.

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            I still prefer spatchcocked birds roasted at 425F+

But dropping whole birds in the PBC at 325 turn out just as good, just different. (More of a doneness gradient).

Can also spatchcock and hang with hooks.

• Geekandproud
            Geekandproud commented
            Editing a comment
            +3, especially on the skewers. I always feel safer hanging pork butts on the skewer. I'd round out the essentials with the ash pan and extra hooks. I have several other accessories but rarely use them.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            I was referring to the turkey hangers for all poultry, the T shaped ones.

However the skewers would probably make some awesome kebabs etc.

Yer Mom deserves the money you spend! ;<)

Comment

Come on what you really need is a big ole LSG offset. You're not that far from them! Come on do it!

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah. What he said. 😁

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              They’re not lying. ... plus you have posted over a 1,000 times, you’ve earned it. Lol

Get yourself a regular. I found the ash catcher to be helpful. Other than that, just give it a chance to show you what it can do before sinking a bunch of money into superfluous accessories. Enjoy ...

oh ... and a hook lifter or two can be mighty helpful ...
            Last edited by MBMorgan; March 27, 2021, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              It comes with a hook lifter, just an eyelet on a stick. Their deluxe hook lifter is better, or you can make one.

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John - as I recall, it comes with one lifter. A second one is useful at times ... like for wide loads such as big birds and briskets.

• Soonerpop
              Soonerpop commented
              Editing a comment
              The hinged grate is great.

Why not a 2nd wsm, it is a pit barrel if you want, and a wsm, if you want. Just get a18 and a Hunsaker rib rack.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              HawkerXP I’m shocked! You have a PBC? I’ve got a WSM and love it, but I wanna gets me a PBC. I’ve got to see what all the chatter is about.
              Last edited by Panhead John; March 28, 2021, 04:22 AM.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              WSM, WSM, WSM !!! Stinking PBC are for sissy’s Panhead John. Come on man, $400 for an old 55 gallon oil barrel and some rebar? Come by my house, I’ve got that junk lying around my garage, you can have it for a buck three eighty.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              (Fingers stuck into ears): Lalalalala

I've heard the PBC is a chicken, wib, brisket cookin machine.

I know you'll hear talk about the wsm and uds. And someone sells a rack so you can pretend you have a PBC. But I think you'll enjoy using the PBC during those frosty winters down there in Texas because you won't have to keep running out to get that darn door to stop leaking.

Yes, get the ash pan. You didn't mention poultry so if you don't eat that you don't need that hanger.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't tell anybody I said this. Spatckcocking a chicken makes it look like the chicken who didn't make it to the other side of the road. IMO. Yes get the hanger. Yes remove one rebar when cooking chicken.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea I’d rather have a nice custom rack made of quality metal that sits high in the cooker for easy access than A PIECE OF REBAR. Come on man.

• andy.wpg
              andy.wpg commented
              Editing a comment
              @Panhead John: Cut the chickens in half like the PBC videos. Poultry in the PBC is heavenly.

You’re a Texan, you need an offset or you should move to another sate that better accepts your kind

It’s not like you have to go far to get one:
            BBQ Grills and Smokers MADE IN THE USA More HYBRIDS available than any other manufacturer The Originator of the HYBRID

BBQ Pits by Klose, located in Houston Texas, is known worldwide for building top-quality high-end smokers and grills that are made to last

Grills View All Products Grills Shop Now Add to Cart Browse wishlist Quick View 24×42 SQUARE GRILL $2,400.00 Add to Cart Browse wishlist Quick View 24×60 STEAK GRILL $3,900.00 Add to Cart Browse wishlist Quick View 20×30 GRILL COMBO $2,850.00 Add to Cart Browse wishlist Quick View 24×48 DOUBLE DOOR GRILL $1,900.00 Read more Add […]

Texas Original Pits craft premium quality smokers, BBQ grills, and fire pits. Fully welded and sought after by beginners and pit masters alike.

...and of course the already mentioned LSG

You said you were going to use it for brisket, ribs and pork butt? How many real Texans you see dangling a 15 lb packer over charcoal? Chop you up some mesquite and start slinging logs son.
            Last edited by glitchy; March 27, 2021, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              I’d make my Mom chop the wood. But I wanted to make it easier on her. She’s 85 and I didn’t want her to have to tend to a stick burner while she’s also mowing the yard and washing my truck. I’d feel guilty while I’m drinking beer in my lawn chair and she’s having to tend the fire and mow also.
              Last edited by Panhead John; March 27, 2021, 07:13 PM.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea you can make her chop the wood with the REBAR that give you to hang from.

Never got the hanger. Never bothered with spatchcocking, per se. Found a couple of pics, tho’:

Chicken the easy way on the PBC:

Click image for larger version  Name:	7A5A369B-F896-4C43-9984-4D54C8A5294C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	936.0 KB ID:	1009442

... and a whole duck that met the. Same. Delicious. Fate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CFACBF93-0BA9-4D52-AE10-ACF5BECD2F69.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	1009443 ​​​​​​​
            Last edited by MBMorgan; March 27, 2021, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s good. Cut in half then hang. I’ve always hated cutting up a whole cooked chicken.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup that’s some mighty fine REBAR. Say if you’re done using it can I borrow it to repair my driveway??

Ash pan is certainly helpful. Turkey hanger is the only other accessory I use regularly (never actually used it for turkey). I never use my sausage hanger.

Comment

Nobody wants to tell you the truth, but I'm not scared. The one accessory every owner of a FGC wished they had is this one.
              It's a little spendy, but it turns the miniature version of a dumpster fire into a real honest to god smoker.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                I ain’t gots no damn deesire to gets a pellet pooper. Sorry ever body who has one. Ain’t gonna happen.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                "miniature version of a dumpster fire" bwaaaaaaa, good one.

I have been reading about The PBC for years...I want one. I have a postage stamp size yard. I do have a WSM18...No room for a PBC.....I think PBC is the way to go...Just Sayin' ....Anyhow....Your massive wealth from your PHJ TV Show and soon to be movie should more than cover the costs....
              Last edited by troymeister; March 27, 2021, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                😂 You are correct troymeister I normally don’t like to flaunt my wealth...but since you brought it up, I’m gonna fess up. I’m worth 6.8 bucks. After my movie premieres, I should be worth 4.3 bucks.
                Last edited by Panhead John; March 27, 2021, 08:55 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here