Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket This Weekend

Hi Team. I’m stoked to smoke my first brisket on the PBC this weekend, likely a 12-14 Lb prime packer from Costco. I’ve been studying up and watching all the YouTube videos and have a couple questions I’m hoping you pros can help me tackle.

1. Noah and everyone hang their packers by the point and have the flat closer to the fire: I’m confused because why wouldn’t I want the meatier, fattier portion - the point - closer to the heat?

2. Lotta people seem to be wrapping with butcher paper. Why is this preferable to heavy-duty foil?

Thanks for your attention and responses!

Welcome to The Pit. I don't have a PBC, so no help from me. Someone will be along shortly who can help.

Comment

I'll answer question #2 first - waxless butcher paper is the happy method in between from hanging the whole way and wrapping in foil. Check this video by Aaron Franklin.

The answer to your first question is based on the reach of the temp probe cord that's going into the thickest part of the meat, and also that I really like the cuts from the point more than the flat. If some flat pieces get a little more cooked than I like they still make great burgers/nachos/etc.

If you are concerned about that, I've read a few of the veterans will split the brisket up to take it off at the perfect time for each section. Personally, I haven't gotten to that point to experiment with.

Good luck on your cook!

Comment

By hanging point up, it keeps a majority of the weight on the hooks. I also believe it let's the fat run down and through the brisket during the cook.

Comment

Welcome from Maryland. Eric did a great job with this post which will help. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...brisket-method . Main thing is to relax and enjoy the process and don’t stress. The meat will be done when the meat is done.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Donw .... although I didn't manage to say much about a PBC

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            ecowper. I still think it is a great guide to brisket, especially the first few under your belt. How someone applies heat to the meat with a specific cooker is another guide altogether.

Hang point up, depending on the length of the packer. As long as it's 3-4 inches above the fire, it will do fine.

I've seen some folks hang super long packers horizontally (or some variation thereof) from hooks on both rebars.

You'll know what to do when you get that packer all trimmed up and ready to go. Just go with that feeling and enjoy the cook.

I like wrapping with foil with no added liquid, if I wrap at all. A lot less messy, and any juices are easy to capture. If you get a good bark set by 170-180° internal before, it should not matter which you wrap it in.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; March 24, 2021, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Not a PBC guy, but why not hang the brisket over one (or both) of the rebars. Deals with the length issue, if there is one, gives you any possible benefits of "self basting", and keeps the meat elevated from the coals.

Comment

• kill2grill
              kill2grill commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, this is exactly what I do if the packer is too long and sitting in the coals. Hook both ends for the first hour or two to allow the meat the shrink a bit, then unhook and let the flat drop back down. If you don't your brisket will be in a funky shape when it's done.

Welcome to the Pit! We can always use another barrelhead! How long have you had your PBC?

Like said above. Get your hooks in the big hunk of the point. I'd rather sacrifice a little of the thin end of the flat then the point if things get too hot. You are going to want to see how long your meat is when hung. Reposition your hooks to get it away from the coals if needed.

I don't wrap with paper. I prefer to let it hang until it comes out of the stall around 175* internal. Bark is usually where I like it. I'll put it in a large foil pan (Costco) with a little beef broth and cover with foil. I will finish in the oven as about this time the coals are about done. I don't go by time, right? Its probe tender that we're looking for. Stick it with your thermometer and it should go in like a knife cutting warm butter. With Prime this could happen around 190* Don't forget to let it rest for at least an hour. REALLY makes a big difference. I can get my oven to sit around 150* . Or wrap with towels and put in a warm cooler. Good luck!

Comment

Can’t help with #1 but the reason more people are using butcher paper instead of foil is because of breathability issues with foil. The butcher paper is more porous and allows for a crisper and less "soggy" bark for the end product. The butcher paper will allow some steam to escape. The foil doesn’t allow for the moisture to escape, trapping it inside, which tends to make the bark less crunchy. Aaron Franklin helped this to become more popular when he started using butcher paper instead of al. foil several years ago.
            Last edited by Panhead John; March 24, 2021, 08:22 AM.

Comment

You have entered the right site.
              Hello from NW Oregon,
              I enjoyed my first brisket paired with friends and family.
              Long live BBQ and PBR too

Comment

Wow! Thank you EVERYONE for all of the helpful responses. I’ve been in the PBC club for 2 years now, mostly ribs though I’ve done a couple pork butts Olin the last 6 months which showed me the light around simple allowing the cooker to work at 275-310. Previously I’d done various things to try to keep the temp lower, fearing my food would t get tender at the higher PBC cooking temps.

I’ll definitely hook from the point end of the packer (15 lb beauty I picked up yesterday) and am leaning towards paper for wrapping. From YouTube videos it seems like brisket cook-time on the PBC is about 2/3 of the weight, meaning 12lb packers cook in about 8 hrs and i can likely expect a 15lb to temp up in about 10...does that sound about right? What’s been your guys’ experience with brisket cooking times on the PBC?

Comment

• Thomassen
                  Thomassen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just smoked one trimmed to 10 pounds. Nine hour cook on the button. Give yourself time to rest it more than an hour in case your cook goes longer than expected. I started this last one at 5:00 AM, wrapped it after 7 hours and pulled it at 2:00 PM. Dinner was at 5:30 so I wrapped the butcher paper wrapped brisket in foil and then a towel and put in in my cooler til dinner (3.5 hours). Serving temp was 155. Good luck!

Well I’d say the brisket was a success! 14 lb prime packer trimmed to ten and cooked for 8.5 hrs on the PBC. Wrapped in paper at the 6 hr mark but wasn’t pushing through the stall so doubled up the wrapping with foil. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support!
                Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great looking cook! Now, you do know that as a trial member...it is required for you to travel to Houston and feed the Club Members in town, right?

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice looking brisket! Ignore Panhead. You’re actually only obligated to feed the Founding Members upon request. ;-)

• Thomassen
                  Thomassen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great looking first brisket cook. And now the journey begins!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here