Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket on the grill instead of hanging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket on the grill instead of hanging?

Anyone smoke their briskets on the grill instead of hanging them? What's your procedure? Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

I followed the brisket recipe on the PBC website, except I put it on the grill. I cooked a 12 lb. brisket (labeled Prime), purchased from a local grocery store (HEB). I put a digital probe in the thickest part of the meat and one on the grill. The PBC temp hovered around 230-240.. It took about 4 hours for the meat temp to reach 170. I wrapped it in foil and put it back on the grill. However, after about 2 hours the meat hadn't reached 200 and the PBC started cooling down. Cracking the lid, etc. didn't help. I had to finish it in the oven (about 1 1/2 hrs.). I wrapped it in a towel and put it in an empty ice chest for 2 hrs. before carving. It came out great.
    I am a novice with the PBC so you are probably better at controlling the temp than I. I've had good luck with chicken and pork, but was hesitant about cooking a $70-80 piece of meat. I think the brisket I bought was mislabeled, as it was only $2.99/lb.
    Happy cooking!

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Wrongway Howdy neighbor! It’s quite possible your brisket from HEB was prime. Right now their Prime briskets are only $3.59 per lb. BTW, where are you from, south of Houston?

Most times the brisket is too large for the grate. I prefer to hang as this gives a more consistent bark on top and bottom. Just need to make sure it is not touching the coals when first hung.

Comment

I agree with HawkerXP ; I get the best results with a brisket packer on the PBC by hanging it. Great flavor (the "self basting" vertical hang may help) and a wonderful bark. That said, I like to put pastrami flats on the grate because I usually load them down with the pastrami rub for tons of flavor and want that rub to get well set during the cook.

Kathryn

Comment

I smoked a brisket on my Weber 22" charcoal grill using the method described in Cook's Country magazine, Aug/Sep 2018. I was very pleased with the results. I used the charcoal snake, monitored the temperature of the meat and the temperature of the grill. The down side is that I had to start at 2AM to serve by 5PM. I had no leftovers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0240.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	1008192Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1008193

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Mark...👍 Great looking brisket!

• Thomassen
          Thomassen commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks great.

• Soonerpop
          Soonerpop commented
          Editing a comment
          Yum!

I don’t hang since I have a PBJ, and it gets real close to the coals. Grate works fine, though. I’d like to hang one if I can get a small enough brisket. And I use pink butcher paper to wrap, and I maximize the number of briquettes by loading the basket precisely so it stays hot longer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3F183AC4-4A1F-4BF0-A3C6-381384E34DF8.jpeg
Views:	350
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1008670

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Soonerpop Dang man, Martha Stuart couldn’t load those briquettes any neater. You must have a lot of spare time. 🥸

• Soonerpop
          Soonerpop commented
          Editing a comment
          Naw, it really doesn’t take that much longer, and I about have to for long cooks. I also use Weber charcoal because I think it burns longer.

I’ve done both, hanging (like a hammock) and laying on the grates, draped over a block of wood. Both turned out terrific. I do like to rotate my brisket when cooking on the grate, usually a 1/4 turn every 30-45 mins.
        Last edited by au4stree; March 26, 2021, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I've done a few on the PBC grill. Fat cap down, laying across a small block of wood to tent the brisket so that liquid does not pool on the meat surface (thus no crust), spritz or mop only after a crust has formed (finger nail scrap method) and follow any recipe that floats your boat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here