Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter Road Brisket Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porter Road Brisket Cook

Adding pics: I had a couple of prep pictures and a friend over for dinner took the one where I've cut into the brisket and am holding it.

I purchased a couple of whole brisket from porter road a few weeks ago during their sale and I smoked a 10.5 pound one yesterday. Sorry, no pictures. A nine hour cook in my PBC using A DigiQ from BBQ Guru's ti keep temps at 275. I wrapped in pink butcher paper with some beef tallow spread on it (ala Jeremy Yoder from Mad Scientist Barbecue) when temps reached 170-185. This was after about 7 hours of cook time. Pulled at 9 hours exactly, temps from 203-212 (Accidentally let it go a little longer than I wanted to).I rewrapped with butcher paper and tallow as before, wrapped in foil, a towel, and then into my faux camber. Rested for four hours. Serving temp was 155. The point was incredibly moist and melted in your mouth like butter. The flat was a little dry in a couple of spots, but family thought it was great. I have another Porter Road brisket in the freezer. Am experimenting with ordering brisket on-line to see how they compare with the prime briskets I can get at Costco. Creekstone Farms in in the list. I may be able to get some through a friend 'wholesale'. Will keep you posted.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thomassen; March 22, 2021, 05:59 PM.

I am a Porter Road fan, so glad you had a good experience. Never got the brisket, going to have to try it. I have also bought ribs from Creekstone, much better than Costco, but not as good as Porter Road IMO

Comment

Sorry, no pictures.
      WHAT????

Comment

• Thomassen
        Thomassen commented
        Editing a comment
        Pics added. One from a friend and the other two were pre pics. :-)

Although a bit more expensive, I also recommend the A Bar N Ranch up Dallas way. Their American Wagyu briskets are fantastic. Got a 15# one on the way as I write this (https://www.abarnmeats.com/).

Also, I saw the Jeremy Yoder and Harry Soo videos on adding tallow to the paper. Always looking for an edge. I don't think there's much to that but if it psychologically convinces you than go for it. I've even gone to the trouble of injecting it into the flat. Just made a greasy mess.

Glad you enjoyed the PR brisket though, they are good.

Comment

• Thomassen
        Thomassen commented
        Editing a comment
        Adding tallow to the wrap lent to a more moist (maybe perceived) surface without compromising the bark.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Saw them also two, too. Render the trimmed fat and mop and add to wrap.
        Jeremy's video nailed it.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here