Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Pulled the Trigger" on a PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Pulled the Trigger" on a PBC

Been wanting to add to my outdoor cooking appliances (I have a Weber 22" Kettle Grill and an old gas grill) and finally decided on a Pit Barrel Cooker. FedEx says its arriving later today.

I wanted a smoker and yeah, I read how it runs too hot to properly be called a smoker, but after reading up on it here and asking around, I decided it is the one for me.

After all is said and done, the two things that tipped the scales in favor of the PBC were: 1) Almost no moving parts or gadgets to fail and 2) Made in America at Veteran owned company (I got the the Army model [six years in the Field Artillery ]).

Suggestions and advice welcomed.

Congrats and welcome to the PBC world. I’m willing to bet that after a few cooks on it you’ll be singing its praises as a proper smoker 😎.

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Congratulations! I have the PBJ and like it a lot. Good luck and let us know about your cooks.

Comment

Meh, good buy, if you like out-of-this-world goodness. Temp Controlled Grilling Flavors Galore!!!!

Comment

Then a PBC for you
            Happy BBQ'n to you

Comment

You'll really enjoy it, Mark! The PBC runs hot for the first several cooks until the lid gunks up. I wrapped two bricks in towels and placed them on top of the lid (in fact, I still do, out of habit) which helps keep the temps down.

Also, when cooking, minimize the time the lid is off. Your fire can get away with you quickly, as with any drum smoker. (No biggie, just plug the holes with some aluminum foil around the rebar if things get unintentionally silly hot.

Comment

Congrats,,,you will enjoy cooking with it,,,
              go buy some chicken quarters and get goin’ !

Comment

• MarkN
                MarkN commented
                Editing a comment
                The plan is a whole chicken cut in half to hang the two halves. But yeah, chicken for the maiden voyage.

You have been here long enough to know. Look in the channels section under barrel cookers. Lots of great info there. It is a super cooker but only if you don't over estimate its abilities.

PBC, PBC, PBC!

Comment

• MarkN
                MarkN commented
                Editing a comment
                Combing through the channels section for the last five days is how I finally came to choose the PBC (along with a lot of YoueTube videos). Thanks.

Congrats on exercising MCS. And thank you for your service.

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not sure if "exercising" is a typo or just really clever, but it's perfect either way! 😂

• RichieB
                RichieB commented
                Editing a comment
                Well MCS can get your heart rate up. Sorta like "fill in the blank". BTW I screwed it up.

It’s a blast! Enjoy!

Comment

I smoked on my Weber kettle for years and never once had the results I acheived within a few smokes using my PBC. it was a game changer. Love me Weber for grillin', but my PBC delivers incredible results with little effort almost everytime. The times it doesn't are because I screwed something up!

Comment

I love cooking on my PBC.....but sorry to say they are no longer made in America.

Comment

• MarkN
                    MarkN commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I see that now. It's on the box. Oh, well. Still, no regrets.

Congrats on getting a new PBC! You're going to love cooking on it. Let us know how that first chicken cook goes.

Kathryn

Comment

Don’t ferget the WIBS! Congrats, it’ll be bootyful!

Comment

• HawkerXP
                      HawkerXP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wibs, chicken and brisket!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here