Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my meatiest endeavor yet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    I meant 203F. Thanks for catching that. Fixed.

• DeusDingo
    commented on 's reply
    did you mean 193?

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Yep just added it in the Accessories channel a couple days ago.

• Koy Schoppe
    commented on 's reply
    is there a SnS forum?

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Food saver bags and a slow cooker should keep you going for the whole party. Just keep feeding the crockpot meat as needed and make sure folks keep the lid on

• pittkappasig
    commented on 's reply
    yeah butts. ive never wrapped, except in one urgent case at a BBQ last year (needed to speed up the process when more people showed up) so i think ill just discard it. i also injected for the first time in my life and noticed no discernible difference in juiciness or flavor than without injection after 14 hrs on the SnS but did it again today for consistencies sake as all the meat will be served together.

my test run of the FoodSaver reheat last week was also still very juicy, but this BBQ is going from 1 PM until 12-1 AM so ive got to keep the meat going for quite a while!

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    This is pork butt right? The drippings in the drip pan are going to be very oily as the water will evaporate. If you want to use those dripping I'd suggest adding some water to the pan so your drippings don't burn off, else I'd probably not doing anything with them. The pork will be very juicy without it. Another option is to wrap the butt(s) once they get nice and barked up. This usually happens around 180F. Then you'll still collect some of the juice. Personally, I'd take the meat all the way to 203F unwrapped and just plan to add a little hot butter/water when serving if the meat is a little dry (probably won't be).

• pittkappasig
    commented on 's reply
    any thoughts on what to do with todays drippings? i passed on the beans underneath but im using a drip pan... im not serving until Thursday afternoon so i was thinking use it for the pull pork to bathe in inside the sterno dishes in lieu of butter/apple juice?

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by pittkappasig View Post

simmered some baked beans under the butts to add some smoke flavor... kinda thinned out the liquid Bushs sits in so i was thinking of a brown sugar/molasses to thicken it up? suggestions would be helpful. sorry for the sideways pics, i dont always remember to flip the iphone.
    Try adding another can of whatever beans you used... but strain them first... should help offset the liquid a bit.

Leave a comment:

• richinlbrg
    commented on 's reply
    Nice job, pittkappasig!

• pittkappasig
    replied
    So Day 1 is in the books:

5 AM the pits got lit and the coffee brewed. Injected 5 10 lber butts with a simple apple juice/vinegar/sugar injection and rubbed with MMR, into the pits around 630 - 7. total cook time was about 14 hours, with the PBC finishing up first (as expected) and the SnS going the distance with only the addition of 15 extra coals. PBC needed a full relight.

had a random severe thunderstorm break in around 4PM, of course it was right while I was relighting so, thanks for that, Mother Nature.

simmered some baked beans under the butts to add some smoke flavor... kinda thinned out the liquid Bushs sits in so i was thinking of a brown sugar/molasses to thicken it up? suggestions would be helpful. sorry for the sideways pics, i dont always remember to flip the iphone.

Day 2 is tomorrow... i might finish earlier than expected which will free Weds up for slaws and sauces without running the pit.

Leave a comment:

• mackdaddy
    replied
    where's the beer? Your going to need it with all that to do.

Leave a comment:

• richinlbrg
    replied
    wow pittkappasig ! Jerod is correct - LOTSA pics!!

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• pittkappasig
    replied
    nah... doesnt matter to me. move accordingly!

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Wowzers. I want to see a LOT of pics along the way!

This is a very cool thread. May not belong in Gen Discussion though. I'd suggest the PBC or SnS forum... Prob PBC. Do you have a preference where it goes?

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here