Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burch Barrell? Anyone heard of this!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burch Barrell? Anyone heard of this!?!

My oldest son and his wife were at my house for a visit. I had done some SLC and chicken on my KBQ then seared the chicken on a Big Green Egg.
    They were both curious on what I thought was a good grill/smoker. I told them I liked the BGE. Great grill, ok smoker.
    Anyway, my daughter in law sent me a message as asked about the Burch Barrell

The Burch Barrel is the original over fire suspended barbecue grill, smoker and fire pit. Our innovative features ensure a top-notch culinary experience fit for any pitmaster, whether you are grilling with charcoal, briquettes, hardwood or pellets.

I told her I would like into it. My initial glance - interesting idea, a bit large and lots of marketing.

I thought I would check with the AmazingRibs folk. Anyone heard of this new grill/smoker? Anyone actually own one?

Thoughts? Recommendations

(Where's Max when you need him ;-)

Hmmm. It's certainly intriguing, but to me, more as a camping grill or somewhere that the tripod design helps you stabilze it and maybe keep the hot stuff off the ground. For home use, on a patio or deck, that tripod will have too big a footprint. And... no side tables, which is one reason I got rid of a standard Weber kettle, keeping my Weber Performer Deluxe. And at only 18", space is pretty tight if cooking for a family. I don't see enough height in the lid for an elevated level rack like most kamados or even a kettle allow for.

I would say if they want to grill and smoke, and depending on their budget, my personal feeling is you don't get more bang for the buck than with a Weber kettle, or the new SnSGrills Kettle. I am spoiled by the large work table, charcoal storage, and propane ignition on my Weber Performer Deluxe, and it is the grill I would keep if I could only have one - there are so many relatively affordable addons for 22" kettles - rotisseries, pizza ovens, the SNS of course, griddles, santa maria attachments, it goes on and on. I smoke on it more than on my offset. Lately I GRILL more on my flat top than anything else. For me, the ideal setup would be a charcoal kettle or kamado, and a flat top grill. You can grill or smoke on the kettle, and sear/grill/griddle on the flat top.

Back to the Burch Barrel - to me it seems more something you set out in your yard in liue of a fire pit, but the size is limiting at 18". If you want a fire pit, get a fire pit...

Comment

We're supposed to reviewing this just dunno when. It was offered to me to review earlier this year and I declined due to time constraints but I believe it's on the list. I'll check with Max and find out if so or if that's changed.

Comment

Looks like a fancy suspended PBC.

Comment

Our review is almost complete. Stay tuned!

Comment

• JGrana
            JGrana commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Max, I was hoping you would jump in!

I think I want one. 😬

Comment

Just wondering how to do a pizza on there. I think it might be a learning curve, but I really like the setup. Let’s see what Max says, I’m ready to down size the amount of grills I have already. It would make my wife happy too!

Comment

The easiest thing for her to do is get herself a trial membership, and just ask, "What smoker should I buy?"
              That question always get a fast, clear, and concise answer.

Comment

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                Duh, it’s buy one of each...definitely fast, easy, and concise.

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                ...except the one’s Max and Huskee put ‘Not recommended’ labels on of course

I am working on finishing up the review on this now. I should have it too Max at the end of the weekend fo editing. Stay tuned.

So far, I am a fan. They are really fun to own and they work pretty well. They do some things better than others, but they are always fun to use.

Here are a few preview pics!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7876.jpeg
Views:	874
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	942818Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7904.jpeg
Views:	840
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	942819

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7911.jpeg
Views:	832
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	942820

Comment

• Mojo0209
                Mojo0209 commented
                Editing a comment
                Can’t wait! Looks really cool to me.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here