Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Larger smoker: PBC Junior vs Weber kettle+SNS???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    @ rickgregory : I explained it all wrong: I guess I just mean controlling the temp at which I’m cooking (200-225-276-325) NOT fiddling with it constantly, just having the input to decide if it’s a real lowNslow cook, or higher for birds, that type of thing. Seems like the PBC is designed to run around 275 for everything & you need to mod it to change that ????

• shify
    replied
    I have a PBC and disagree that it requires fiddling. Some people are tinkerers and are always chasing what they believe to be the perfect temp. I monitor temps just to make sure the coals are lighting but besides cracking the lid for higher temps for chicken, I rarely do anything to manage temps. And the load of charcoal in the basket is solely for time, not temp, reasons. Less coal = shorter time. For just cooking a 2 inch thick steak, I used maybe a dozen briquettes + the 40 I light in the chimney.

that being said, For what you are looking for I’d probably go Kettle and SnS. More versatility and it would flat out replace the WSJ being it could more effectively have 2 zone cooking and still be used for direct grilling and serve as a smoker

Leave a comment:

• RichardCullip
    replied
    The only cooker I’ve got is the Weber 22” with SnS. It smokes what I want to smoke. Cooks what I want to cook and sears what I want to sear. It even cooks a great pizza with the KettlePizza attachment. I usually cook for 3 of us and the Weber is up to the task. It’s taking good care of my BBQ needs.

Leave a comment:

• Al S.
    replied
    Also keep in mind, the PBC is a *cooker*, not a smoker in the true sense of the genre. It’s great at doing what it was designed to do, shorter cooks at higher temps without too much baby sitting. From a versatility standpoint, I have a Weber Performer with SNS and Vortex and I love the set up, kind of a Swiss Army knife of outdoor cooking.

Leave a comment:

• RobertC
    replied
    Over the years I've had a Weber Smokey Joe, a 22" Weber kettle with a Smokenator (which is sort of an older variant of the SNS), and currently, a Barrel House Cooker, which is a 14" barrel that comes apart so you can use the bottom part as a 14" grill (like an extra small Smokey Joe), so it's the same diameter as the PBC Jr.

If I had to choose one and *only* one, I guess it would be the 22" kettle and SNS.

The reason I gave up on the Webers had nothing to do with dissatisfaction: I had the Smokey Joe for almost a decade before getting the 22"; then a few years later we moved to another country for a few years so I gave the kettle away. When we returned to the States, I thought maybe we'd try something different and bought a gas grill. After a couple of years, I missed the smoking experience, and could have gotten another kettle and SNS but instead I went with the Barrel House. I've been pretty happy with it, and hardly ever use the gas grill except for making pizza. I have a post here from about a year ago showing the volume of the Barrel House: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...sized-14-drums

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    I guess im still not clear on what you want to do during the cook. I've got a 22" weber and the SNS. I can get it to stay right around 250 for hours... and you don't WANT to fiddle with anything then or you'll just cause temp fluctuations.

But if you want to feel more involved in the cook... I wonder if there's a starter offset smoker. Requires constant fire management (which may not be what you want either).

The thing is, smoking really isn't about skill and technique. It's about selecting a good cut, seasoning it right, getting the fire to behave and *letting it do its thing*. Unlike a lot of other cooking, it's just not a style where I find myself doing much as the meat cooks.

Leave a comment:

• mnavarre
    commented on 's reply
    You still need to pay attention to all that on a PBC. I monitor my meat temp and the cooker temp in the PBJr., same as the Weber. Despite their marketing, a PBC isn't Set & Forget, it's more "Set & Don't Worry About It Too Much". It still all comes down to the guy behind the tongs.

• Greygoose
    replied
    I have all 3 ,the PBC and a 22” Weber and a Jumbo Joe,,,,,all rock for what I need them to do
    To cook for more than me and the sweet heart I would go with a 22” Weber W/ SNS
    smoke , grill, Sear
    I love all 3 cuz they meet my needs fer me and the family
    Last edited by Greygoose; June 27, 2020, 05:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    replied
    That said, I appreciate all the input, and I’m glad I asked y’all! I’ve learned more than I realized there was to learn in less than a month on here, but, THE BIGGEST THING I’VE LEARNED FROM YALL IS THAT I LOVE BBQing! SMOKING! Just plain cooking meat over fire! I’m not ready for a set-it-n-forget-it cooker, or I’d probably save for a pellet smoker, although the PBC looks like a damned fine option.
    I just want a little more input on my cooking results, especially on the long cooks.... I can only afford one right now, cause otherwise I’d just buy the PBC and the /SNS and cook on! thank you all, and I guess it’s the Weber SNS combo, unless anyone has another recommendation!?

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    replied
    I think I explained myself wrong! I DON’T WANT TO CONSTANTLY TINKER, but I do enjoy keeping an eye on the temp, deciding what temp for what cut, and when I’m going to intercede.... I don’t want to hover and fiddle all day, but I do want the end result to be a mix of the meat, the seasoning, and MY SKILL, and that’s what gives me pause about the PBC —— I love my Smokey Joe, but the small size has me constantly managing the fire, and I don’t want that..... I want something in the middle?

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    First off. lemme open with I think th PBC/PBJ's are fine cookers, an many folks hereabouts love em to pieces.

If somebody were to give me one to review, reckon I'd figger out how to make it work, an fit into my repertoire of cookers, an products. More Power to those who rock em on a daily basis!

That bein said, I sincerely believe that th Weber kettle/SnS combo is a much more well-rounded, an versatile option, overall.

Does it have th capacity of th PB family??? Nope.

But can th PB Family of cookers do alla th things a kettle can do? Nope.

Git whatever is gonna fit yer lifestyle, meet yer budgetary constraints, an makes ya happy, an eager to cook again on it, most importantly.

Of course, ya know, no matter which one ya ultimately decide to git, that we'uns are gonna be expectin some pics.

In th long run, I wish ya luck with yer choosin, but bein's how ya were askin, well, there's my ¢2 worth...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 29, 2020, 07:55 PM. Reason: s

Leave a comment:

• Alabama Smoke
    replied
    As others have said, the 22" Weber kettle with SnS gives you both a nice grill and a nice smoker. That is your ticket I think.

Leave a comment:

• Nate
    replied
    I have a PBC and a Weber 22 w/SnS. They compliment each other very well.

I will say though your desire to "fiddle" to enjoy the cook means you probably shouldn’t get either of them and go buy a COS Or OK Joe instead so you can fiddle all you want.

PBC should be allowed to mostly do its thing with the exception of wanting to bump up the heat for some crispy skin... people obsess over the 225 myth.

The Weber w/SnS if being used right should run pretty rock steady once you get it set... so you shouldn’t be fiddling with it too much once it is going otherwise you defeat the purpose there too.

The benefit of the SnS is the versatility. If I had to choose between the two it would be the SnS and Weber for that reason... But if you are keeping your current Weber then you have some options to play.

Seriously though if you want to play with fire then maybe think of something different... again the two you mentioned are designed to run for hours without playing with them too much.
    Last edited by Nate; June 27, 2020, 04:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rod
    replied
    Yep. A 22" Weber kettle with a SnS can do everything well. Low n slow to screaming hot searing and everything in between. Plus there are tons of gadgets and mods down the road if you choose.

Leave a comment:

• BFlynn
    replied
    I like the PBC. It works great as is.
    Im moslty fiddling with mine bc
    a} I like to fiddle with stuff and
    b} have lots of time at home right now.

The Weber may meet your needs more but I wouldn't be put off the PBJ just bc a number of folks tinker with theirs.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here