Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Larger smoker: PBC Junior vs Weber kettle+SNS???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    While yer waitin, ya'll be more than equipped, an able to cook most anything that comes down th pike, amigo!
    Ya know where I am, if ya have any questions, an there's tons of other kettle users on here, as well, most of em smarter than me....

Lookin forward to yer new adventure, Brother!

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    I'd haveta agree, ya'll never regret havin th extry real estate of th 26.5"...
    I never have, with mine, thus far.

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Mr. Bones , just ordered both the 22” Weber & a SNS , think they will keep me in larger cooks for a long time!

• Mark V
    commented on 's reply
    Yes! First get what fits your lifestyle. Then you can get MCS and fill it out.

• patcrail
    replied
    OK, just ordered a Weber 22” premium kettle and an SNS , I’m sure it will do everything I want, just gonna have to wait for hanging meat & the "smoke fog" until I can afford more,but convinced I’ll be able to really expand with this setup

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    patcrail I think I also have done a 16 pound turkey, spatchcocked, on the kettle with the SNS, but I had to wrap the tips of the drumsticks with some foil, as they were hanging out over the SNS slightly. This past Thanksgiving I deconstructed two 20 pound turkeys, and I think that is the way I will do it going forward. I did them on my offset, but think I could have fit one on the kettle.

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    Great idea! I’ll definitely chew on the 26” idea! Thanks

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    And knowing how much capacity it has in "real terms" helps a lot!

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    @ jfmorris thank you! That’s sound reasoning, and I was leaning that way already, but I think you just convinced me!

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    I have both a PBC and a Weber Kettle. This answer is easy and it’s the Weber Kettle. Now I’m also different than others here, I would recommend spending the money for the 26” kettle then save up for the SnS later. It’s nice to have and works good but you can do everything you need to do without it, and just save up for it later.
    So if you have the room you’ll love the Extra room the 26” kettle will give you.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    I wish ya luck with yer decision, an look forward to whatever ya make, on yer new cooker, Brother!

• jfmorris
    replied
    I don't have a PBC but do have a 22" kettle with a SNS, so can comment to capacities there.

On the Weber 22" with the SNS, I have smoked the following using the SNS:
    • One brisket up to 18 pounds
    • 2 8 to 10 pound boston butts for pulled pork
    • 3 chickens split, or 2 spatchcocked, in the indirect zone
    • Up to 5 racks of ribs, using a Weber rib rack to hold them on edge in the indirect zone
    • Prime ribs and NY strip loin roasts up to 10 pounds
    • Full pork loins of 10 to 12 pounds
    • Lots more
    In addition, I have a set of Grillgrates from GrillGrate.com, and have the option to DIRECT grill on the entire cooking space, and do that quite often, fitting the following amounts direct grilled on the entire grate area:
    • 4-5 whole chickens, split
    • 6-7 pounds chicken wings
    • Lots of burgers and brats - you can probably do 18-20 at a time with the Grillgrates
    I also use the Drip N Griddle to saute and fry over the fire, use the SNS as a high temp searing station for reverse seared steaks, deep fry by putting a cast iron Dutch Oven over the SNS. Baked bread in a Dutch Oven - you name it.

The 22" sized kettle is a very FLEXIBLE cooker, as it can smoke, sear and grill both direct and indirect. And you have full control over temperature, and can easily add fuel for long cooks. I can get 12+ hours on a single load of 7-8 pounds of charcoal in the SNS, and can easily access it to add more for things that take longer to cook - like a big brisket that goes 14-16 hours.

The Pit Barrel Cooker is great due to its ability to hang things, but even the full size PBC only has an 18" grate, not much bigger than your Smokey Joe, and the PBC Junior has the same 14" grate as you Smokey Joe. So as a grill, neither of them offer any more than what you have now, and the PBC is not primarily a grill. The 22" Weber Kettle, while primarily a grill in design, excels at indirect cooking and smoking, and the SNS certainly makes this more convenient, but I smoked for years on a 22" kettle before I ever heard of the SNS.

I think you will find the Weber full size kettle to be the most flexible option. I would buy the PBC if you only want to smoke on it. If you think you would like a larger grill, and searing capability, then go for the Weber Kettle. I have the Weber Performer Deluxe, and it is probably the last grill I would part with if I had to get rid of cookers.

I do recommend for ease of cleanup and ash removal, to consider a model that has the ash sweeps and ash bucket underneath, versus the cheaper model of the kettle that just has a pan suspended between the legs. I've had both, and the ash bucket makes it SO much easier to not make a mess on the patio.
    Last edited by jfmorris; June 29, 2020, 09:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    replied
    Thanks all, I think this has helped me decide, either a Weber kettle + SNS , or perhaps the OKJ Bronco for the ability to select the cook temp

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    oh, I see. You can do that, with practice, on a weber and SNS.

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Shifty . That’s what I was trying to say: it seems to me the people who do all these mods are trying to defeat the basic design of what I’m sure is an outstanding cooker... I just like the idea of being able to choose whether I’m cooking at 220 for hours on end or at 275 for a shorter cook on a different piece of meat, so the PBC probably isn’t my thing, since I can only get one right now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here