Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Larger smoker: PBC Junior vs Weber kettle+SNS???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Yer quite welcome, Brother!

Ya been doin some Really Cool cooks on th ol SJS, Nice Job!

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    patcrail - I was just talkin' low and slow. I do go higher for other cooks.

• patcrail
    replied
    Limitations aside, I’m very happy I started out on a Smokey Joe (as opposed to something bigger) right off the bat when FINALLY learning to cook the right way! Dealing with the small size thought me tons about fire management & temperature control, and I believe that laid a damned good foundation to grow on! I understand many of the basics now after learning how to control this thing for everything from strips/ribeyes up to 10 hour slow cooks (& a lot in between).... I understand temp control isn’t a big factor, within reason, with the PNC and other drum coolers, but learning to control this little baby and seeing the effects of cooking temp on meat has forced me to really learn my cooks! And some great brothers on here have really coached me! Mr. BonesTroutman , and everyone else, thanks!
    Really looking forward to learning & upping my game with all of yas!

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    I hear you, brother, and mostly agree 💯, but now and then I want to go closer to 200 or as high as 325 depending on what I’m cooking and how, that’s why I skipped the PBC for now... I really want one I’m my arsenal, but only being able to afford one, I chose the flexibility of the Kettle... look forward to getting a PBC one day and doing hanging cooks

• RonB
    replied
    That's great. Just remember that you can get great cooks without tryin' to hold a specific temp. As long as the temp is in the range of 225° to 275°, don't sweat it. Just make small changes as the temp approaches either end of that range. You will have a lot less anxiety that way, and the beer will taste much better if yur not worryin'.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Have fun, eat well, and stay well hydrated! She's gonna be a hot holiday most everywhere.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I go under the lid. I don't have trouble keeping them low.

• patcrail
    replied
    Mr. Bones , yes! But now I gotta figure out what order to cook my Porter Road order in: got a Pork Brisket, some Rib Cap Steaks, Memphis BBQ sausage, and back bacon all coming... I’ll probably end up cooking them all the first day & crying in my beer the rest of the weekend, lol ... kept the order kinda small cause I didn’t think it was coming till Monday, thought I’d be using Smokey Joe (well that, and I wanted some beer money left 😎)

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    That's Great, amigo!!!

• patcrail
    replied
    Hell yes! Just found out the 22” will be here Friday (instead of Monday), as will my Porter Road order, and SNS arrives tomorrow! I hope I saved enough cash for beer, cause I’m gonna be doing a whole lotta cookin this weekend! Mr. Bones

Leave a comment:

• tenphases
    commented on 's reply
    Great choice, you are about to have a great time tinkering with your new toys. I didn't mention the sns by accident it's actually the first accessory I would buy. (BTW run the and it without water and half full for chicken) comes out great!
    Last edited by tenphases; July 2, 2020, 09:40 AM.

• mnavarre
    commented on 's reply
    Never had a problem with the probe wires going through the holes, and the amount of air leakage through the holes is so negligible as to be nonexistent.

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    Hell, Mr. Bones , I envy you having that feel for temp! I wanna get there... I’m 51, but been cooking wrong most of my life, on a quest now, so I’m really just using the gadgets ‘n such till I have a feel for my cooker temps... I’m there with the Smokey Joe already, know exactly where I am without the probe, just figure this new kettle is gonna take a month or so to get the feel

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Yer doin th right thing, an utilizin tools that simply weren't available, when I was growin up, an learnin to cook, privately, or Professionally..
    I am very actively enjoyin yer journey, an as always, here to help, in any fashion that I can, Pat

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    No wories, patcrail ...
    Ain't passin no judgement on nobody, least of all yerself, Sir.
    Jus tellin yall what I most generally do. That don't make it fer everybody, or even right.
    But it is what it is...
    Thought I'd share my shortcomins with th whole wide world lol.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 30, 2020, 03:58 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here