Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drum smoker questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drum smoker questions

I have decided that I prefer pit smoked q. I like my wsm with a fire dial, i love my pbc. I love that pit smoked flavor. So im switching up my collection and fetting rid of some gear..... maybe lol

I want a really nice "big emphasis" on big drum, at least 22 in. What are the best options outside of Hunsaker, Gateway, PBC, BHC, Bronco and Big Poppa. Those are not out of consideration but I already know about them, what else is out there?

This is the video that piqued my interest.
    Last edited by tenphases; June 3, 2020, 06:01 PM.

Homemade. Mudkat has made one.

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      I dont have the skills to make it nice, my 2nd smoker was a uds, loved it, used it for years

Blazen Grills has a barrel smoker

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      Now were talking, that definetly looks interesting.

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the looks of this cooker but I hate it when I want to know the price but they need all my info first, big turn off.

edited because I was wrong the price is right there on the site.

Look at the RipTangle. These are not a traditional round barrel but are a vertical box smoker that operates in the same manor. I don't own nor have I ever used one but they come very highly recommended here in the midwest. https://www.stlbbqstore.com/smokers-...tangle-smoker/

Comment

• Byrang
      Byrang commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice, I'd never heard of them, looks like a good setup.

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are square!?!?! Drum smokers have to be round. I know my shapes, man.

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      thats a rectangle so its not a uds!! Whats the point of that???? I mean it could fit full hotel pans, maximize capacity, looks different and cool.......ok im gonna check it out lol this looks amazing!!

Make sure to tune in tonight to the webinar. We are discussing barrel and drum smokers.

More here!

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      Awww man I didnt see this till just now !! Smh

Join us at 7:30 pm CST tonight for our Pitmaster Club Zoom Happy Hour. The subject is Barrel Cooking.

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      Done thanks!!

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      It was great!!

Dang! Sorry I missed that!

Comment

One suggestion I would highly consider is get something with wheels. I added mine later because the drum can be heavy and can get you dirty. There have been a few times I moved it mid cook due to rain and was glad it was on wheels.

I also like side intake pipes (shown below) so I can adjust the air flow from a height at waist level instead of bending over and showing everyone my plumbers crack. 😀

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171208_122348.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	857392

Sorry no pic handy with wheels....

Enjoy what ever you pick tenphases
      ​​​​​​​

Comment

• tenphases
        tenphases commented
        Editing a comment
        Man thats nice, you are making me rethink building one. How much did it cost you all in?

About three hundred give or take. The pipes, exhaust and handles were about $100 of it if I remember. Drum was 25 so you could go real cheap. I'd change the bottom of the basket (ash catcher) to something stainless steel. Adds to the cost but my ash catcher is painted.

Comment

I ran across this company, I think on the local version of Craigslist. I've browsed their site but I don't know much about drum smokers in general, so I can't comment on the value, quality etc. Just giving you another option to look at.

Comment

• tenphases
          tenphases commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice thanks!

tenphases I’m curious what you decided to go with on the can cookers? I’ve been looking at the Hunsaker or building my own, via https://smokerbuildermfg.com.

Comment

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

What you mean "getting rid of some gear"?!?!

I don't think thats how MCS works!!!

If 22 inches is the minimum, then rule PBS out. It's. Exaclty 18 inches.
          Maybe get a 55 gallon drum and drill 2 rebar holes in it for "PBC XL"

I'm sure someone smarter than me can do the cypherin to tell you how big a charcoal basket you need to run 270......

Whatever you decide, good luck, and keep us posted

​​​​
          ​
          ​​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here