Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fornetto Basso Charcoal Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Ground Chuck a lot of folks on here have the Camp Chef Smoke Vault and seem to really like it. I too have only smoked with charcoal and wood, but several folks I trust on here say they can get about the same smoke profile with wood chunks on their Smoke Vault.

I’ve thought for a while that a Smoke Vault 24 will likely be my next smoker, as it has a huge capacity for the price, and also can be converted to natural gas - I have a hookup outside my fireplace, and would have unlimited fuel.

• Ground Chuck
    commented on 's reply
    Are you a fan of propane smokers? He mentioned another guy recommended one but I immediately shot him down based off my own preference. I've personally never used a propane smoker so maybe I jumped the gun!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not hem hawing - my son is on his own for his outdoor cooking - I bought him a Weber Spirit II E-310 with a Weber cover and a set of grill tools, and gave him 3 surface panels of Grillgrates and a Grate tool. I just thought this looks like a good recommendation for a sub $200 charcoal smoker.

• Troutman
    replied
    Quit hemming and hawing, tell your son to go get the thing. As long as the porcelain looks decent it will probably cook and last nearly as long as a WSM. Those bullet smokers all cook about the same. You can upgrade to fan control (big plus), stainless grates and a Hunsaker hanger for about the price of a base WSM. DO IT !!

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    The other option under $300 would be a propane smoker... like the Camp Chef Smoke Vault.

• Ground Chuck
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you, brother! I'm getting way too excited helping him research, lol! I was thinking that this might be his best bet, and I'm glad to have someone that knows a ton about bbq give me some assurance! lol

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    For the price I think this and a good thermometer like the Smoke or Maverick XR-50 would be a good deal and come in under budget, including some charcoal and wood chunks! This seemed very well built, and pretty sure it has a temp probe grommet at each grate level. It is very comparable to the WSM18, but the WSM 18 is $339. This is a no brainer at $189 on the web or $179 in my local Lowe's.

• Ground Chuck
    replied
    My buddy is asking me about a smoker for his dad for Father's Day, but with a $300 limit including accessories lol. I told him you're leaving Picasso without his paintbrush here, but I too stumbled across this and was wondering if it was worth it for the price.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    It shows $189 online but is $179 at my local Lowe's.

• BFlynn
    replied
    I might keep an eye on those and if the price drops, pick one up. I don't really NEED a second smoker right now......

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    No - my son was asking me about smokers, and I came across this one at Lowe's. He has not purchased one yet, but this one seems worth considering. For me, I don't think an 18" smoker will be quite large enough.

• BFlynn
    replied
    Did you pull the trigger on this?
    ​​​​​​If so, whatd ya think?

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    I looked at this cooker again at Lowe's today. Price was now $179, which is good. The build quality stills seems good - the grates seem beefier than on a WSM or a Weber Kettle. Too bad they are just chrome plated and not stainless, but then again, Weber is chrome plated too on all WSM models.

I wanted to look at the hook/hanger mechanism, and it was a little disappointing. See the photo below. This was the floor model - the 5 hanging hooks were taped to the inside of the lid. They hang from a bar attached to the inside of the lid! This means if you were to hang 5 slabs of ribs, a brisket, whatever, that you have to hold the lid up with all 5 slabs of ribs, while hooking them on, then lower it all into the smoker. That seems poorly thought out at best, and hard to work with compared to a Gateway drum hanging kit used on a WSM, or the PBC. The hanging mechanism appear to truly be an afterthought, tacked on where the bolts that hold the handle are.

In looking at the photos just now, I can see that the dome thermometer is more useless than most - it appears to cover a range of 0 to 500C, and the range for smoking, corresponding to 225F to 350F, is a very small portion of the range.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1666.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	840446Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1667.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.53 MB ID:	840447Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1668.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.56 MB ID:	840445
    Last edited by jfmorris; May 1, 2020, 02:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Max Good I plan to try and talk my son who wants a smoker into getting one, then I can do a review on it! . It was the lowest cost decent looking smoker at the Lowe's he shops at.

• Max Good
    commented on 's reply
    Could be, but ProQ may be supplying their smokers to another entity, or just branding them differently for Australia.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here